Smith and Wesson Model 617 6" 22LR... Thoughts?

Well, was really looking forward to picking up a CZ Rami that has set in the LGS for a while BUT it apparently found another home before I could snatch it up. So, ended up getting a heck of a deal on a Model 617.

I have shot many of these in the past with 4" barrels, never the 6". Those were pretty wicked and this one is too. I was curious if anyone else has had any experiences with them, do tell!

11 Likes

Pre-Lock! :+1:

10 Likes

laser gun once you adjust the sights, stay around the same loads and you wont have to do that much. Have used, will use and continue too use if i get another one in the future… DO NOT DRY FIRE IT! Make sure rounds are fully seated. Kapowie if you don’t.
If you paid less than 750 dollars for that I hate you btw, love me.

11 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean.

5 Likes

i always get a good deal through my local LGS, don’t mind pissing you off, $600 out the door and am paying it out on top of that (i have a tab there) LOL

9 Likes

:wink: AWESOME deal sir!!!

9 Likes

Sometimes there can be issues with all of the rounds fully seating. I have no experienced but have heard reports of this issue and then a half loaded round having a case failure.
Truth about guns reported it once I think.

8 Likes

i can see how that might be an issue, you get a bulged or ruptured case and it would probably lock the cylinder up good and tight, always fun. i have had that happen a couple of times on some under powered 38s i have loaded, back the primers out and LOCKED the darn things smooth up

7 Likes

The 617 is a sweet shooter(never dry fire it) you got a good deal, and the 6" model’s are sought after.

6 Likes

that is nice to know… i have seen and shot a lot of 4" models in the past

4 Likes

Sorry, I still don’t understand the potential problem.
The rounds not fully seated in the cylinder?
Half loaded rounds resulting in case failure?
We’re talking .22 rim fire, right?

3 Likes

@58marine
The rounds not fully seated in the cylinder? - Yes
Half loaded rounds resulting in case failure? - Yes
We’re talking .22 rim fire, right? - Yes

3 Likes

i may have caused confusion by throwing the hand loaded 38 curveball.

if a cartridge is not fully seated/supported when fired, the area not seated/supported will bulge or rupture… doesn’t matter if it is rimfire or not. There is limited space between the cylinder and the rear of the frame and so a bulge or rupture could fill that space enough to cause the cylinder to lock up (not turn).

with my comment on the hand loaded 38s, i was speaking specifically to cylinder lock up not proper seating/support.

3 Likes

what we are describing almost never happens outside of a flaw in weapon design in non-rimfire weapons.
It can happen more often in .22 revolvers in my experience. Its just an awareness point as this weapon would survive a case detonation but, it could be detrimental to the shooter.

3 Likes