So, crowdfunding tackles the wall

Yes, the source of funds may be the same, but crowd funding is voluntary.

2 Likes

I apologize for the oversight,@SteelPinger, I was thinking too hard at the time. One thing to consider about crowdfunding is how would the administrative functions be managed? Seriously, I am ignorant about this avenue of funding.

But you are correct about my equating these 2 funding sources. Thanks

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to identify any oversights. I was just mentioning the beauty of voluntary funding vs. government taxation.

I wonder about that too. Some form of independent oversight would be necessary to ensure proper management. Without full transparency and accountability, people will be reluctant to contribute.

3 Likes

I’ll leave this here.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/jason-chaffetz-trumps-border-wall-may-get-funding-after-all-thanks-to-this-dirty-little-washington-secret

The federal budget is enormous – more than $4 trillion each year, of which roughly $1 trillion is discretionary. It is Congress’s job to authorize programs and appropriate funds for them from this $1 trillion.

However, the budget categories under which programs are authorized and funds are appropriated are very broad, and since Congress doesn’t pass specific language about every last dollar’s use, discretionary funds are inevitably used for things that Congress never specifically funds.

This is how the executive branch often gets the money it needs to do things that Congress won’t formally authorize. It finds money that has been either broadly appropriated or appropriated to a program that is expired and redirects it to a related program or purpose of its choosing.

3 Likes

Interesting.

2 Likes

You guys are going to need a wall to keep us out here pretty soon. Nova Scotia looks like a fun place.

2 Likes