So Many Guns, So Little Time

Hypothetical questions from before the “guns and boating” craze swept the Nation -causing oh so many to be lost but not forgotten. For those who once had a large collection:

How did you stay on top of routine maintenance? What method did you use to track this, if any?

How frequently did you shoot each and every item?

How long in between range sessions was too long making it time to part ways with something?

How did you manage items you’re weren’t ready to sell, but no longer shot (e.g. specific long term methods to preserve)?

Did you primarily have a collection comprised of one type of firearm (i.e. handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc) that was just supplemented with a select few pieces from another?

7 Likes

We usually only cleaned the rifles after use, and unfortunately they didn’t get used often enough. Living in a suburb of Southern California, we could only shoot when we went out to the desert. And it was too hot in the summer so there were months in between shooting sessions. For handguns, pretty much the same except for the ones you carry every day. Probably didn’t clean them often enough. Maybe once a month.

8 Likes

We have our own range here on the farm. I shoot something almost every week. For long term storage i use axle grease. Just a little bit in the middle of a piece of old flannel shirt. Worked in good to the flannel. Wipe down the outside and cut off a little piece to run down the bore. Thats how grandpa did it and it still works. Keep the greased flannel in an old babyfood jar.

11 Likes

A lot of seriously hypothetical’s here. No boat now. I would say there is a well balanced bunch of hypothetical firearms that are kept in secure and climate controlled environment. We have a range on the farm, that is not hypothetical, so shooting whatever is a daily activity. There are only about 10 that are not required to exercise, but all else is prepared to join the hypothetical.

8 Likes

I cleaned them up good after every shooting session, about every three years I would take them all out and wipe them down. Some were shot regularly, some frequently, some every now and then, three or four never shot.

I keep a record of every gun and it’s serial number and accessories that are with it. In the beginning nearly all was comprised of military type weapons from other countries and the states. Over the years they have branched out to different types. except for black powder. I have always shot it and owned them. Now I would still say 80% are black rifles and military weapons.

5 Likes

Thanks @shooterrex. This is exactly the type of information I’m looking for.

All joking aside for a moment, I have a few items I’ve not shot or cleaned (they were clean when put away) in I’m guessing… 3-5 years. I also have a couple heirlooms I’ve retired and several NIB items that are duplicates -damned discounts and manufacturer rebates! The duplicates are still in the OEM packaging where I worry about the foam inserts breaking down over time and ruining the firearm finish.

Doing a one day annual cleaning seems a logical path, but I never seem to have that much time or endurance.

Hell, I dunno. I should probably just go boating again soon. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I am also starting to have concerns about what kind of mess I’m leaving for my wife should anything happen to me. She’d have absolutely no idea. I do keep a spreadsheet with purchased and current value of things in the safe, but it’s never really kept completely current.

Meh, maybe when I retire (10-15 years out still) I’ll have more time to sort through all of this. Hopefully I’ll have resolved the problem before then, or if not, nothing’s ruined along the way.

7 Likes

I used to say that too.

5 Likes

How did you stay on top of routine maintenance? What method did you use to track this, if any?
My armory is climate controlled and each of the weapons storage lockers are cleared and cleaned on a weekly rotational basis. Exceptions for things waxed and greased for long term storage.
Wall mounted weapons are dusted weekly and are wiped down with the rags used to oil and clean weapons after weekly range trips.
Decorative weapons are cleaned monthly aside from the weekly dusting.

How frequently did you shoot each and every item? Teaching firearms are taken out weekly, I rotate the historical stuff in when i feel like it, self defense stuff weekly, treasures yearly.

How long in between range sessions was too long making it time to part ways with something? - This isn’t a factor,I only get rid of self defense stuff as new technology comes around.

How did you manage items you’re weren’t ready to sell, but no longer shot (e.g. specific long term methods to preserve)? I use wax and grease to store them.

Did you primarily have a collection comprised of one type of firearm (i.e. handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc) that was just supplemented with a select few pieces from another? - I started collecting around 24 or so, I am teleporting WWI and WWII relics thru history, I buy out of collections only the most rare and historical pieces. Other than that my armory has specific usage classifications, hunting for different environments and animals, defensive, offensive, historical.

7 Likes

I keep EVERYTHING written & dated. I always clean weapons after shooting, everything else gets wiped down, inside & out with Weapons Shield every 3 months. All are kept climate controled as well

5 Likes