So what do you do when......

You pick up a rifle with an obsolete scope mount?

And you’re always floating on the poverty line?

And you don’t have access to a machine shop? (Reference above ^)

The answer is you make it by hand. Because you’re stubborn and the challenge calls…

12 Likes

Cowboy Companion SKS with a Type 89 mount. Good luck finding an original…and if you’re poor forget about it. Even if you find one its worth more than the rifle.

Measurement, layout and initial cuts with a hacksaw.
File, file, file, file, etc ad nauseum…

11 Likes

Yup, keep filing and testing.

I sacrificed and then butchered a broken AK side rail scope mount for the next process.

Cut, file, epoxy, drill, pin and file.

10 Likes

Drill it, tap it and screw it together.

Do a lousy job of painting it…just like the Chinese or Russians would lol!

11 Likes

13 Likes

Great job!!! :+1:

13 Likes

Excellent work and amazing dedication!

13 Likes

Thank you both!
There’s about 10-12 hours into that dovetail cut alone.

13 Likes

IKR? Hell, I’d have had to use one of @Belt-Fed 's credit cards & paid a machinist!

13 Likes

Here it is scoped:

Not the scope I will keep on it, but it’s the only one I have.
I intend to put a compact scope with lower mounts on it…if only I could find Belt Feds credit card!!!:angry:

14 Likes

Nice rifle, almost makes me want to embrace communism /s

12 Likes

What nationality is that SKS?

12 Likes

That one is a Chinese model.
It’s a chopped down “Paratrooper” version.

“Cowboys Companion”

12 Likes

干得好 <==> Well done :stuck_out_tongue: at least I hope that’s what it means, google translate

13 Likes

Thanks!

12 Likes

That’s all I thought reading through, well that and find something powered :upside_down_face:

:+1:

10 Likes

There’s a fine line between dedication and stubborn. I think you maybe straddled it. Great job!

11 Likes

Very nice work. I admire your patience. Those are handy little guns I had one of those same carbines complete with the original mount and scope, even had the butt plate cleaning kit. About 12 years ago I let a guy take it and told him he could pay me when he got a chance, I still have not seen a dime or heard from him. I’m starting to think I got screwed. Dumb ass I even tossed in a couple of hundred rounds of ammo and an old Tapco 40 round mag I had no use for.

8 Likes

If you are patient and have calipers you can probably do a quality job. Sorry, I posted this before I realized you were already done.

9 Likes

Great ingenuity

8 Likes