So you think you are familiar with your surroundings

Man, talk about a rude awakening!

9 Likes

:scream:

8 Likes

Wow. Gotta tighten those lug nuts good.

7 Likes

Had a tire come off on me once, off the drivers side rear and rolled past me on the passenger side through the ditch

It was a 4wd so I locked it in and crawled of the road

A very large man named Angel grabbed under the fender, lifted it up so I could put the tire back on, stole lugs from the other wheels and carried on

7 Likes

Some people I know were standing outside their shop that borders the interstate and a semi tire came off a truck and hit them . It almost killed them took years to recover . And just this week a guy at work had his car totaled by a tire coming off the interstate as he was driving on the outerroad .

7 Likes

I’ve just missed 2 in my years on a MC.
One a Mack R model front. B F tire and rim.
My underwear looked just like bidoom’s

7 Likes

50ish years ago, headed home after work on Rt80 west in the Paterson, NJ area, doing at least 70 after 2300, light traffic. All of a sudden there was a tractor trailer tire in my headlights and in my lane. No time to react at all. Thankfully I had mounted an extremely rugged aftermarket “bumper” connected to the frame of the truck and that took LOTS(!) of the impact. I wasn’t alone in hitting it that night. When I went to pick up the accident report days later the cops knew of the incident well. One gent claimed he was hit by a UFO as told to me by the LEOs. That after market bumper really paid for itself. Who knows what would have happened w/o it? The truck was a 1/2ton Datsun.

7 Likes

yeah you’re lucky to have had a worthy bumper :grimacing:

5 Likes

My gradpa had one of those he loved it. Drove it into the dirt.

6 Likes

Today driving a rental car (Mitsubishi Outlander w’ 6k miles on it) doing 75 on I95S passing a tractor/trailer I spot a rear tire w/o air and looking “loose” on the rim. I got around and outta there. I hope it didn’t screw anyone over. In years past I would have gotten on the CB, but I no longer have CBs in my vehicles and the rental certainly didn’t have one.

It was just me in the car, with a passenger I might have tried hand signals. What would you have done? I saw no options other than the one I took.

5 Likes

…and was. Nice.

4 Likes

Could call in to highway patrol/State police

6 Likes

Of course! (Duhh on me!)

If I had thought of it, yes. But frankly I don’t think of cell phones and the connection of my voice in the car to the phone. But yes, I could have easily used my voice to dial 911 if I wasn’t an old SOB with new tech. The car was certainly capable of it if I had thought of it. I set it up to do it. I just never have done it or do it. I need to practice it to wire my brain to allow the new tech’ in.

6 Likes