So you want to be a Content Creator

I started The Rogue Banshee almost a year ago and I can tell you it has been a wild ride with it’s ups and downs along with a lot of sleepless nights doing filming, editing and posting on www.trb.fyi (with spelling and grammar errors at times).

Sometimes you will see me switch between I and We. No I do not have multiple personalities (that I know of). My wife watches my videos before I post them to catch some of my spelling and grammar errors. There were videos that I had posted on other platforms before I got my Full30 channel that she didn’t review and found a spelling error afterwards. Big oops.

Content Creation looks easy (trust me its not) and fun (definitely is). Let me list some of the things that I have to do and learn (or have learned) to get The Rogue Banshee running or keep it running.

Filming (this seems easy, but it actually isn’t the way I do it and sometimes ashamed when I publish something that has an error in it that you may not notice but I do. After all I am my toughest critic)
Video editing
Voice over (did you know that it takes me over an hour to do my voiceover work for a 10 minute video?)
Learning SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
How to write articles on a blog (yes I have grammar and spelling errors - I don’t have my wife checking these)
How to run a Blog site (I am still working on perfecting this)

I will tell you, I have a deep respect for my fellow Content Creators. Some of you gave me the inspiration to start The Rogue Banshee. And I can tell you , I have enjoyed talking with you all on this Forum.

For you future Video or Audio Content Creators… This may well be the hardest job you will love to do. I can tell you that I have a full time job as well as a part time job as an FFL Holder on top of working on The Rogue Banshee. I typically get about 4 hours of sleep at night and am up early in the morning working content (video, audio, or editing) or the website before getting things lined up for the gun business (that I operate on the evenings and weekend) just to turn around and work a full time job during the day.

I am not writing this post to seek sympathy, complain or build an audience. I am hoping to inspire the next wave of content creators and to pay respects to the content creators that came before me. I also want to thank the members of the Forum (yes you are content creators as well). You all inspire me as well and I love looking here in the morning to see what you all are up to and get a good laugh (except when there are unicorns… still can’t get that picture out of my head).

If you are looking to do content creation like I do, I listed an article on our website that lists the financials of operating The Rogue Banshee. This also lists the hours that I have donated to it (how many hours I have worked doing Content Creation and Website work).

Don’t be alarmed, things do cost money, but honestly, your true cost is time. You don’t have to go overboard like I did to get your start. However, I had a mission statement when I created The Rogue Banshee and it kind of dictated that I invest this much money into it. After all, I am running a website as well for my content.

http://trb.fyi/financials/

With all of the cost in money and personal time why am I a Content Creator? Because I love it. I love posting things out there for you to learn. I love the comments that you post on my videos. I love knowing that someone is learning to be more self sufficient. I love that someone who is on the fence about taking the next step just may take that step because of something I said or did.

For everyone, Go forth and create content!

11 Likes

Totally with you on this. I’m a content creator because it’s my passion, not because of the money. Anyone can pick up a camera phone and make a video and upload it. Some people get lucky and get that viral video. That doesn’t make them a CC. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on my studio with computers, software, cameras, sound, lighting, and decorating. I spend hours making one small video. I figure on average I spend about one hour of time to end up with 1 minute of video. But I love doing it. Being disabled means I have a lot of free time but not much energy to do physical activities. So here I am. I’m honored to be part of the Full30 family, a place that appreciates my work. Because of that I put extra effort in to helping them grow.

8 Likes

Great read and could not be any truer. Voice overs for me are a nightmare at times because i get tongue twisted with things i want to say so i end up writing it down to read it but then i have the battle of making it sound natural and not as if i am reading lolz.

6 Likes

Sounding natural takes time and practice. I still catch myself sounding like I’m reading it forced.

6 Likes

@TheHobbyGunsmith and @Tactical_Reviews I used to write a script when I first started. I have been doing more “freestyle voiceovers” lately. When I start tripping up on words I stop and write it out and then start reading to get through that part.

6 Likes

I gave up on a script. I might have a few bullet points, but for the most part, I ad-lib it.

7 Likes

I am in that process now. As I become more comfortable I notice that my voice overs are becoming more natural. I don’t have a problem speaking in public (I do speaking engagements occasionally for my career) but a computer monitor doesn’t give me a really good feedback.

But that is part of learning.

6 Likes

What did the best for me was doing live streams

5 Likes

That will do it!

6 Likes