Some Basic 10mm Testing

what is that? LOL

6 Likes

Wanted to try some federal HST in 180Gr but the shortage happened so that’s a tough find. Like all the hard cast stuff runs well in my rig. Did do some reloads with blue dot powder 180gr fmj, works fine and was what I had on hand, but the blue dot does make a bit of a flash.

6 Likes

Jeff300,The federal 165 and 180 grain HST in .40 S&W are too awesome carry loads.
I’m on the hunt for some of the 10mm as well, if they didn’t change the recipe it should be an outstanding round👍

7 Likes

Dont know how far this ol’e boy was shooting from but I am a hunter and find ballistic test’s shot at near point blank into water jugs or gel or what ever kind of useless information. These were all fired at 25 yards into water jugs from my 4" S&W model 610, I recovered all from the fourth jug except the Everglades bullet which was recovered from the second jug, but to be fair I do believe the Everglades bullet was intended for the 40 S&W so I may have had it going a little fast. I had no chrono at the time but have since aquired one and plan to re-do this test some time, these are all my reloads over 10gr’s of Hodgden Longshot. I do love the Federal HST’s for 10mm.

5 Likes

this ole boy says you do you, shooting into water jugs is fun
 most people know that it is not scientifically accurate but it does show what the projectile is capable of. to that point, there are a variety of factors that go into what a projectile will do with any given target, so just about any test can be argued. life is short, relax and learn to have fun my friend.

as for the distance, i would have to go back and watch but i typically do say
 but hey, this ain’t some fancty smancy tv program with flashing equipment, editors, producers, etc
 so i may have missed it.

6 Likes

Just saying test the bullet for what it’s going to be used for, if it is a self defence round it doesn’t need to be tested at 25 yards, if it’s a hunting round I dont care what it’s doing at 7 yards I want to know what it’s doing at a much greater distance. Water jugs are fun to shoot no matter if you are just plinking or trying to see a bullets performance, I like to go to the local food pantry and get their out of date caned goods.Ever shoot a can of pumpkin with a .44 magnum, you better be standing back a ways LOL.

5 Likes

I have shot water jugs from 1 yard to 100 yards with 40s to see what they do. All fun.

In a month or so we will be having our annual pumpkin carving contest. I use my 40 and she uses the 357 with 38s.

Yep lots of produce is gonna get its brains blown out here shortly

5 Likes