South Pointe Six

FLORIDA CARRY SUES MIAMI BEACH OVER POLICE ACTION AGAINST LEGALLY ARMED FISHERMEN

Miami Beach, FL - A lawsuit for deprivation of civil rights under color of law and violations of Florida firearms and fishing laws has been filed today against the City of Miami Beach and officers of its police department over an incident where the officers assaulted, battered, and detained law-abiding fishermen at a Florida Carry fishing meetup on the South Pointe Fishing Pier on June 24th 2018. The incident was captured on video (link below).

Dubbed the “South Pointe Six”, six Florida Carry members and supporters were held by police for well over two hours without cause, while the police officers went on a fishing expedition of the own in an illegal attempt to find something… anything… the officers could use in order to charge the “South Pointe Six” with a crime before finally failing and releasing them.

Even after eventually releasing Florida Carry’s members, the Police Department forced the premature end of our First Amendment protected gathering by closing the public fishing pier until all known Florida Carry members and supporters left the area.

“Florida Carry will not allow our members to be abused, injured, held without cause, and have their civil rights violated without the strongest possible response to prevent these types of attacks on the good, law-abiding, citizens of our Great State.” Said Florida Carry Executive Director, Sean Caranna.

“Most police officers and deputies that we encounter are outstanding professionals who have an incredibly tough job to do, we respect that honor that. However, we’ve seen these types of abuses happen far too many times in cities and counties who do not respect the Right to Bear Arms. Every City and County in Florida should already know that proper training about the legal possession and carry of firearms is necessary. These types of abuses will not be tolerated - IT ENDS HERE.”

The plaintiffs are represented by Florida Carry General Counsel Eric Friday.

7 Likes

I remember the story, they tore that one Fishermans shoulder up even after he explained that he had a severe injury.

3 Likes

I’ve heard way too often in incidents like this from the cops “We got a call about a man with a gun” as an excuse to accost a law abiding citizen.
Instead of this bullcrap, maybe the cops need to deal with the caller next time, like this:
Cops: 911 Dispatch. What’s your emergency?
Caller: There’s a man with a gun fishing on the pier.
Cops: Is he waving the gun around or threatening anyone?
Caller: No
Cops: Is the gun holstered?
Caller: Yes
Cops: Is the man fishing?
Caller: Yes
Cops: Then he’s not breaking any law. Have a good day and get a life.

It’s that simple. Either cops need to educate the callers on the law or the cops need to educate themselves.
Or they could have evaluated the situation as they walked up (without guns drawn), said “Hey man, we got a call about a man with a gun out here, but I can see you’re just out here fishing and I don’t see anything wrong. Have a good day fishing.”
I have all the respect in the world for police and the job they do. Bless them. But when a cop, who is supposed to uphold the law does not even know the law he is upholding, then I have a problem with that. Anyone who has a job is supposed to know their job or lose it.
When cops act like this, they are no more than thugs with guns harrassing law abiding citizens.

4 Likes

Completely agree!

2 Likes

This is terrorism…
The is an attack and one that they should have been legally able to defend themselves from.

2 Likes

I remember a time when LE was your neighbor and friend.
Unfortunately they have become jack booted thugs with a badge and a gun.
I know there are good LE officers as well but actions as this seems to be all too common.
And the fact that these types try to justify their actions with double talk and acting like they know all is disgusting.
I hope he sues the living crap out of them and the officers involved are fired from the force and banned from LE countrywide.

2 Likes