Spectated a new shooting discipline today

It was long range rimfire (NRL22). It was interesting and looked difficult and I definitely don’t have what’s required to do it. Today was windy with gusts and the little pills were getting blown all over. After being there for a time I left when they were shooting an 8"(?) plate at 200 yards. It was a very laid back competition. It almost looked like just a bunch of folks getting together at the range for kicks. :smiley: OK, that’s just what it was.

I met Highland Patriot and his wife there. Good folks and it was good to meet them. I’m trying to get them involved in competition. I don’t think Joe needs much more urging at all, I’m almost certain that he’s in, all that’s left is waiting for a match day to arrive on the calendar. But I’m trying to get his Mrs. involved in Steel Challenge. We’ll see how that goes. SC is a really good family game.

12 Likes

Yes, it was good to put a face to the screen name and those were some pretty sweet guns you had with you.
No way would I have tried shooting that course, and that last target was 250 yards I think, we left at 200. I don’t have a setup for that either. And won’t spend the money for it either.
I am ready, it’s just a matter of the hand holding up, I will probably shoot next week because I have surgery in May and will be laid up for who knows how long.
Starting at 75 yards and working out to 250 with a 22 is bad enough but in a high wind, that is not for me, but it was fun watching them try and some of the shooters were actually hitting consistently was pretty remarkable to me.
Anyway, we had a good time, everyone was having fun and laughing at themselves for missing (a lot), no attitudes from the few that were hitting more than dirt, and it was safely run. What more could you ask for? OK it could have warmed up and the wind could have stopped blowing.

12 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I wanted to shoot them, but I needed the range that they were using and I didn’t want to get home @1700. Weather permitting, next W/E I’ll do what I need to do with the 300BLK except I’ll have more ammo loaded. I’ll double check the sight in on the SC SBR here at home. One benefit to living in the boonies in Maine… having ones own range. But I like to support a range also to support others in their shooting.

I was a member of Augusta for decades, but lately they have FAR TOO MANY range nazis so I dumped them even though they’re only 1/2 the travel time away and less expensive. Now I only support them with range fees hidden within my match entry fee. I understand that all ranges have their range nazis, but the one we were at today just wants to makes sure you’re safe and accurate then you’re good to go. I’ve been shooting matches there for years so all of that was waived. But Augusta had someone showing up to make sure dictator moron gov’ mills orders were followed even under bright UV filled skies. I would flip the middle finger, all of us would. But unless I was shooting I would stay outside the bay and keep watch for the “I was just following orders” a–hole. It was that range nazi that made the difference. I wrote them a nice letter telling them goodbye forever. There is a $3,000,000 state run range just 2 miles away and it’s really nice and a friend is on the list as range officer. When, for some unseen reason, I need a pro’ range I’ll go there.

Summerhaven range: Summerhaven Shooting Range - Home | Facebook

9 Likes

I may need to borrow a couple mags. I have to go up to the other house and look some more this week, and do some more shooting to see how my hand holds up. Liz says se as more fun watching so she is a no go on the shooting.

9 Likes

Just give me time to dig them out if single stack. Of course you can borrow some!

Next week is SC so I don’t need time to dig them out if .22. Just let me know so that I can load them into the range bag; 25x2 OK? Lubed as I told you today I’ve found them to be reliable. Shoot 2-3 stages (unless you count rounds), flip it and shoot the other 2. Plenty of ammo. You can use my loader to top them up.

9 Likes

OK, I’ll keep pushing hard though. You’ve already experienced my “hard sell” once. Pretty wimpy hard sell huh?

Once she sees it she might change her mind. Steel Challenge is pure fun IMO. Heck, it all is. No selling there, it’s just the way I feel about it. She needs to see for herself and maybe needs to let it sink in. If she wants to shoot that’s fine, if not that’s fine too. It’s certainly open to her. OK, hard sell #2 experienced :rofl: .

I just like to see folks get involved in what I absolutely love doing. I just can’t imagine anyone not enjoying it if they have the attitude of the folks we saw today. We don’t compete because we’re GODs gift to shooting but because we want to get better. We definitely saw that today and will see it again if you squad with me. Us old SOBs do the best we can and are serious about it but we also want to see others beat us if they can. Yeah, I know not exactly cutthroat competition. I shoot against myself but use others to gauge my progress against. Personally, since I can’t/won’t run I like it when one of the younger guys tells me during a match, “If you just shoot this clean you beat me.”. Why? Because my biggest problem is getting rid of the baggage and just shooting the best I can. I can beat them even though I don’t run as they do. I just need to stay cool and shoot my game. I’m still learning to do that. Shooting speed and accuracy is NOT my problem; controlling the pressure is but I’m getting much better. None of us are perfect, we all need to polish flaws is my point. She;ll shoot when she’s ready. Yeah, I need to work on my hard sell.

7 Likes

Yeah, you must have sold used cars in a past life or something :rofl: I’m not too worried about the pressure, more my hand holding up and the speed, you saw what I mean. I think I will just use my 1911. Easiest for me to manipulate and most muscle memory with. The worst that can happen is I shoot the hell out of that berm or I sit myself down.
If you can remember the name of that magic potion, please send me a link and I will order a couple of gallons, I do purely hate to clean guns and mags even more so, but I seem to be doing it a lot lately.

7 Likes

I read about people doing that, maybe 10 years ago. The way it was explained then, was that some people who do long range rifle competitions (1,000 yards or so) had built nearly identical rifles chambered in .22LR, to get some cheap long range practice that did not involve going to a range that was set up for distances more than 200 yards or so. At 100 to 250 yards it’s supposed to be good practice for reading the wind and various other skills that you need for 1,000 yard shooting.

One of the basic tricks is that the bullet has to be subsonic when it leaves the barrel, or it will end up dropping subsonic before it gets to the target, messing with the accuracy as the bullet can get a little unstable during the transition from supersonic to subsonic. Most seemed to be doing this by using barrels 20" or longer, since tests have shown that standard .22LR ammo starts slowing down before it leaves the muzzle of a 16" barrel (I think the peak muzzle velocity is usually with a barrel between 10" and 12").

5 Likes

Link far below.

It took me awhile to remember it. Buy it once and use it forever. Seriously. You do NOT want a gallon. I made that mistake.

The key is to put it in a covered vessel that will allow it to be reused over and over until it gels and no longer runs. I’ve been using the same Prolix for many years now and it shows no sign of giving up. I did top off the shallow vessel once.

The key is to start off with a new or GI clean handgun. Then clean it again with the Prolix. Just a dunking will do after it’s spotlessly clean. The drain the parts and just allow them to dry. The drained Prolix goes back into the vessel then gets covered again until the next use. Use the handgun and next cleaning put it in the vessel and the liquid Prolix gets under the crud by dissolving the dry cleaner. The crud comes off super easy, just give it time for contact, go do other things. Come back, wipe/brush things down, brush through the bore, dunk the parts in the cleaner again (actually I use a huge Hypo’ I got from the vet to flush the parts with cleaner), drain them, and let everything dry. What I do is after draining I reassemble the gun wet and let it dry assembled. I wipe off the exterior. Done with cleaning, lubing, and protecting. It just doesn’t get easier. Next time I get back to the vessel the carbon and crud has settled out and is nice and clear. Eventually I’ll need to filter it but not yet. I did build a false bottom for my vessel and the hypo is used to rile up the carbon above the false bottom and lots of it settles below it and out of reach.

Mags I blow out and just swish in the vessel, move the follower around to release grit, and let them drain. Then they go into the storage bag to dry.

After it dries it’s as slick as grease.

https://www.prolixlubricant.com/order.html

5 Likes

I’m in getting some this week, or at least ordering it.

4 Likes

That is phenomenal, no photos to post?

I think we need a thread that names these events the same as @Festus and @MAC82 , I know they have a photo, you guys must have done a photo … right?

6 Likes

Finally! Maybe now you’ll be a little more chill around here

5 Likes

Member Meet Up
Post the range you are going to or event/match.

5 Likes

Sounds legit, now lets see what photos these guys can contribute :sunglasses:

5 Likes

No cameras were present, and will not be in the future.

[quote=“LonewolfMcQuade, post:12, topic:19037”]
Finally! Maybe now you’ll be a little more chill around here
[/quote

Still the bully aren’t you, no wonder you need so much retail therapy to make up for the esteem issues, the departed hair, and the OCD. I understand your need to be so hurtful with all your issues and just want you to know your still special no matter what others say about you.

4 Likes

Actually I had a hidden camera in my lapel. Joe said that we all look the same in Piscataquis county and darn if he wasn’t right! I see the resemblance now! It’s uncanny! Heck, I’m not even from that county and I see a faint resemblance!

Me:

Joe:

I didn’t get a good shot of his wife because she was shaking from the cold so bad.

6 Likes

:rofl: more identical than Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Davito in “Twins”

5 Likes

Seriously? It took me awhile to see a resemblance.

6 Likes

My wife spotted it right away, she thought you were my younger brother, when you got out of the car, she asked what he was doing there.

6 Likes

ROTFLMAO!

The FBI, NSA, CIA, and the ATF (and other alphabet soup agencies) are probably scratching their heads. When they get their hands away from their anus’ they’ll wonder what was going on and why we look so alike. Let them work for their pix of nobodies.

6 Likes