Sporterized Milsurps

Well thank you. That duracoat job really took time.

10 Likes

That does look great :+1:

9 Likes

@MAC82, not sporterized in the usual sense, but messed with…

14 Likes

That green is awesome

10 Likes

At one point I was also thinking of going that route for one of my Mosins - the stock, scope, etc.

Then I figured I would rather wait and see about caliber conversions. Still going to do it.

But will need a lathe for that. :wink: @MAC82

9 Likes

I considered doing a 45-70 conversion when I got the lathe. Then I realized I would only destroy a bolt at my current skill level. Maybe in the future. I do occasionally window shop for barrels. That was an interesting choice of stain. My word though it turned out beautiful. If you ever go the route of scope mount for the mosin rock solid industries is the best one I found.

8 Likes

I do plan on welding on a new bolt handle on mine. That ati handle is just to small.

8 Likes

I hunt with a guy that uses a sporterized mosin, actually it has an aftermarket stock on it. it looks 3 miles long laying next to my 308 AR. but he kills deer with it every year.

7 Likes

They are capable of harvesting deer for sure. I just use a cheap Remington 770 in.270. My “built” mosin is darn accurate i got a load,PPU brass CCI Primer 45.3gr Varget 173gr Sierra Matchking that shoots one ragged hole shot group at 100 yards. The group tends to open up once of the lead sled.

8 Likes

With you on that.
Only Sporterized milsurp we have is an '03
Only because we had1 collector and 1 shooter already when this one came available and was a steal— because it was sporterized.

8 Likes

I wasn’t going to bring it up, but that was the one thing I didn’t like on your pic.

8 Likes

I blame (or thank) @Giantspeed.

Stripping and refinishing AK74 furniture

9 Likes

I bought a couple of sporters just to restore them, and because they are usually cheaper.

Winchester 1895 was one - restored-ish

Used to look like this:
pix926702898

Ishapore 2a1 - restored

Used to look like this:

13 Likes

It is a thanks for sure. I would have never considered it. Turned out fantastic.

8 Likes

I have a SKS in the back of the safe still coated in cosmaline. I will have to enquire with @Giantspeed on a unique stain choice when I am ready to refinish it.

10 Likes

Ok…that’s what I was wanting to do. How did you get it stained like that?

8 Likes

Very nice

9 Likes

I used a dye, if you check out that thread I linked where @Giantspeed was showing refinishing AK74 furniture you will see a video I followed and the recipe.

7 Likes

@Mosinvirus those are the best dyes as well

7 Likes

I’m always here for consulatation

3 Likes