Sporting Clay Speed Test

I have had a lot of questions about the Clay Cannon… including how fast it throws clays. Well in this video, hopefully I address all that.

8 Likes

bad ass!

5 Likes

saves ya arm, that is for sure LOL… i was really worried about screwing up my chrono but it all worked out

6 Likes

I was worried about that too. I was waiting for a clay bird to wipe out the diffusers. LOL. Glad it worked out.

6 Likes

i am just a good shot! lol

6 Likes

@CloverTac

Any idea how fast the clays are going at the sporting clays ranges? I do a bit of sporting clay shooting and my guess is that their speeds are likely similar, but as you demonstrated, the speed can be made faster or slower. Some sporting clays move significantly faster at the range (I just have never known just how fast).

Thanks for the video.

4 Likes

it can range WILDLY depending on the equipment used, adjustments made and of course level of competition. Most speeds seem to range from about 60 to 70 FPS but in higher up competitions i have also seen them throw at well over 100 FPS… i am OUT at that point, no sense in even trying with my crappy shotgunning skills LOL

5 Likes

@CloverTac

Thanks. Yeah, I think I have seen that much variability, too. The really fast ones - depending on their path - I usually end up giving up on them and just moving onto the next station. The ones I can hit regardless of their speed, are just moving straight (ish) towards me or away from me. But, those moving across at an angle - if very fast, probably not.

4 Likes

I know at the Sporting Clay’s range I trap at, we use Pro-matic throwers. They have three different springs for gross speed changes and each spring can be fine tuned as well.

5 Likes

@aberdrew13

Do you get to adjust the speeds? Where I go, they are always preset and we don’t get to decide or change their speeds. And, for each station, they sometimes change it up. Always fun, though.

4 Likes

@JohnB, as shooters, no, you are not to touch the traps. Certain trappers are free to adjust and tweak the presentations during set up. We try to do it at the start of the day so that everyone who shoots has a even playing field to compare scores.

5 Likes