Spray painting a DP-12

Good evening everyone!!! I’m new to the forums and rather new to gun ownership as well. I just put a deposit on a pre-owned Standard Manufacturing DP-12 shotgun. I’m beyond exited to get it, however I’m a bit iffy on the color. The gun I am purchasing is in their flat dark earth finish. I really wanted the black finish, but getting one special ordered during this time is not looking good. I was considering spray painting the the gun in a satin or flat black. Any ideas or opinions? Thank you so much in advance for your responses.

12 Likes

Just keep it as is, you’ll be buying another soon :laughing:

Welcome!

12 Likes

Welcome @benoit1237
Great to have you here with us at Full 30!!
Where abouts are you on the globe?

10 Likes

Welcome from KY. Spray away. It’s your gun.

9 Likes

Some suggestions… If you are looking for a lasting color use good paint… brownells has some nice stuff.
If not Wal-Mart spray paint works great… I have played with both and have gotten some great results.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum @benoit1237. As Robert said, leave the color alone. You will not get an acceptable coat on the shotgun and it would likely wear off in a short amount of time. There are ways to change the look, but not do-it-yourself in the beginning.

9 Likes

But what about Bubba???

11 Likes

Lol!!! I’m already considering getting a Kel-Tec. I live in N.Y., so not the most gun friendly state whatsoever. Not sure how to reply to each comment though. I know the parts are a composite material and have read the made for plastic Rustoleum spray is the best for many different plastics. Just the all black looks so menacing and badass, plus I figured black is best for home defense. The Flat Dark Earth looks more military, Desert Storm like. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ll probably just sleep with it for the first couple of weeks like I did with my Taurus PT92 and Pardner Pump 12 gage. Lol!!!

11 Likes

Good base for a mulitcam stencil

10 Likes

@benoit1237 welcome to full30.

10 Likes

Only paint experience I have is brush painting a house and spray painting an old Willys Jeep. Aside from that, welcome from Texas!

So what part of NY are you from? I was born in Buffalo 5 decades ago.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @benoit1237 and living in CA I feel your pain living in NY

9 Likes

Welcome to full30!

9 Likes

Modern heat resistant paint, like engine builders use should work.

10 Likes

Welcome from NC. I’ve rattle-canned an AR or two. For metal parts, a shake and bake finish will be best, either Aluma-hyde or Duracoat.

9 Likes

Welcome @benoit1237

8 Likes

Welcome from Florida!

8 Likes

My parents came from Buffalo and Rochester.
They left for Ohio at the first opportunity.
A fellow from our Ohio gun club moved to NY state.
After learning of their obnoxious gun laws, decided to leave everything back in Ohio with trusted friends.
There’s plenty of places to live less fascist.
Just a thought.

10 Likes

Thank you all very much!!! The more I look at images of the tan-ish color, the more it’s beginning to grow on me. Hopefully I’ll be bringing her home in a couple of weeks and I’ll upload pictures.

9 Likes

She’s finally home!!!

8 Likes