Squirrels and handguns

Like I said in my intro I love to hunt small game and I love squirrel hunting, so thought I would start out with a few pics. Well damn, only one photo huh, well here’s a good one.

8 Likes

That’s alot of squirrels.

7 Likes

@Longcarbine nice pile! All with a pistol too, nice shooting.

7 Likes

And they look like all head shots…way to go!
WB

9 Likes

Here’s a pic of my former squirrel hunting gun. The story behind it is kinda funny.
WB

7 Likes

And yet you don’t share without us pulling it from you :angry:

Now, what caliber is that anyhow?

8 Likes

It is a series 70 Gold Cup in .45 acp, and accurized by the late Forest Davis of Columbus, MS.
WB

7 Likes

The squirrel gun story…many years ago, and while visiting my wife’s extended family…Sandy Hook, MS. So, cousin and wife come by and ask if city boy would like to go squirrel hunting southern style. He’s packing his Ruger 10/22, wife single shot 20 ga. And when they saw my 45 on hip, only firearm with me, the whoops and finger pointing began in earnest. Long story short, they took a squirrel apiece and city boy took three, all head shots…no damaged meat. One of my squirrels fell to the 45 after he emptied a whole mag of 22s, and decided we would let that one go…I was in a better position, “I got him”, pop, one more squirrel. Now I am invited for dinner, and they can’t get enough talking with me. Watch out for that city slicker with only one gun, and who practices weekly. Hope you guys enjoyed.
WB

8 Likes

Upps, hope I did not step on any toes with the squirrel story. I was not actually a city boy. Though I grew up in a small college town, where my stepdad and mother were teachers. I spent my summers, starting in my early teens, working on my grandfathers farm and ranch. My BS degree was in agriculture and animal husbandry. But at the time of the story my wife and I were both back in school working on graduate degrees. And we gave that kinda impression. My father-in-law was the first in his family to go to college and retired a Univ. Professor. And I spent many seasons hunting and fishing with my family. Hey, we even owned a blood hound for a pet. And unlike the one on the Beverly Hillbillies. Rufus would drag you all over the neighborhood. If you’re wondering where he got that name. I believe Rufus was supposed to mean the color red in Norman French…William the Conqueror’s favorite hunting dog…parents history professors.
WB

6 Likes

Ohh dear, I’m afraid you may confuse some of the regulars with those manners of yours :hugs:

5 Likes

Robert,
If there are any members with hearing aids like myself. And would just love a funny story related to hearing issues, let me know. This is my favorite funny story, and will have to be coerced out of me.
WB

5 Likes

Why do we have to coerce your favorite story? :thinking:

Ok, fine, tell the story or we’ll send our most famous Benghazi peacekeeper to visit you.

5 Likes

You better not send Hillary Clinton to my house…my wife can’t stand that bit@/#!.
WB

6 Likes

Plus, this story should probably have it’s on topic. Would that make any sense? I don’t want to offend anyone, lol.
WB

6 Likes

Plus, my aforementioned 45 Colt was my first gun to receive ivory grips…shot little since.
WB

6 Likes

That’s what I was looking at, squirrel headshots…@longcarbine ain’t messing around

6 Likes

Well, I did make one mistake with my story. My head shots did damage some meat. Lot of people around there like squirrel brains…never developed the taste for them.
WB.

6 Likes

Apologize for changing the focus of this topic prior. Here’s a another squirrel and handgun story. While not actually hunting squirrels, when checking cattle during the season on my grandfathers place, we/hands would always take us a gun in the truck. Between breaking ice, putting out feed and mineral, we would check all the big oak trees. So one time we, my cow checking assistant and I, were in this small bottom. Fenced oaks on the other side of our property, and my assistant sees a nice squirrel about 25 yds up one of those big oaks. We’re in my truck without a single long gun. But I do have my ole S&W 4” model 66 with some 38 loads for wild dogs, etc. I take a couple shots at him when my asst. yells “what you got in that thing” covering his ears. Well it’s so cold out I did not notice the added recoil and noise. But I had dropped that little squirrel right to the ground with a couple 158 gr JHP 357’s. Not hardly a hair out of place, but I had cracked two limbs out from under him. That was a great job and time.
WB

7 Likes

I have a feeling we all have a “BS Degree” around here .
No sweat @BillWaits

6 Likes

Hey Stan,
How many BS degrees does it take to become a safety consultant? BaaBing…that’s no lady, that’s my wife…take my wife…please!
WB

7 Likes