Starlink - Redneck meets high tech... or so I am told

So I have been missing for a while, I do that from time to time as my day job gets busy enough to interfere with my fun time.

So on the news front. I finally got pissed off enough at my ISP to leave. There are not a lot of options but I got invited onto the SpaceX Starlink beta. Been both pissed (figured out at lunch today it was my fault) and happy with them.

But here is my temporary install until another mount comes in. Where else are you going to see the latest in satellite Internet mounted to a pallet but in Montana!

18 Likes

Sweeeet!

All I got so far was the roof mount,

a bitch they don’t give more of a heads up,

I ordered the kit, then the roof mount, then the pole mount just in case

I won’t miss this

So tell me, whats the warning to not be pissed?

14 Likes

I am just waiting on the pole mount. I have I J pole up now for my “old” ISP that I am going to re-use. That will put the dish a good 30 feet up in the air and no line of sight issues. I moved the dish further into the back yard and my connectivity problems went away. House was clipping the signal a little.

Not being pissed…

Get over that you are going to have to drill a one and a quarter to a one and a half inch hole in your house to pass the cable through. There is a big ass ferrite choke that you need to get through the hole. When they say clear sky… they mean clear sky. On my temp mount the corner of my house was “just” in the way by a little. I was having 26% packet loss. Symptoms were, going to a webpage and the initial load was lagging a second, sometimes not at all and the browser was throwing a DNS error or no Internet error. But hit reload, it worked.

Moved it 20 feet west… almost 0% packet loss (yea my fault but if they gave you the damn mounts when it ships, this wouldn’t be a problem).

Your initial speed test will not register an upload. I saw this on many videos on the other platform. It seems like it just doesn’t register and upload on the first try. After that they all work.

It takes about 15 minutes to “power up”. That is annoying but I get it. It needs to lock in on the satellites

This thing is like rocket ship fast on the Internet.

14 Likes

Thank you!

Did you use their app to figure if there were obstructions?

14 Likes

I did. And I knew that the house was slightly in the way but that was only temporary until the mount shipped. In the meantime… I just moved the dish. I had to put the pallet up on a table so our one dog wouldn’t go lift his leg on it. :flushed:

14 Likes

Lonewolf been over there pissing on stuff again I see…

12 Likes

Damn I would love that kind of speed

12 Likes

I’ve been waiting a long time for any type of decent connectivity. And I only live 6 miles outside of the city. New developments going in across the road have fiber to the house. Those companies will not extend coverage to almost 350 houses across the road.

12 Likes

I waited almost 9 years and had to move a couple of miles just to get what I have now, so I reckon I should be grateful. I’m just jealous. Good on you for getting something working.

12 Likes

If it’s that good I’m in. The internet here in BFE SUCKS.

13 Likes

I remember moving across the country and going from a cable modem in Montana to ISDN (128k) in Delaware! I feel ya.

12 Likes

It’s not cheap! You are looking at $550 for the install kit and $99 per month. But damn, I am streaming The Expanse in full HD (6.8 gig an hour) on Amazon Prime right now with no lag or drops!

11 Likes

Pfft, you seen my speeds, I pay 120 a month for it

Yeah the 550 was a tough pill to swallow, especially with their DO IT NOW attitude

12 Likes

Ouch! Damn you are getting ripped off.

Yea I loved the whole you have 5 days to accept.

12 Likes

oh yeah don’t I know, its been trying to say the least,

and five days?

12 Likes

Dude… that sucks. Maybe Musk was pissed at your state

12 Likes

That would be justified,

they added this slogan to their politics

12 Likes

Yeah my connecting has been crap recently too

7 Likes

Yeah well I’m having to use smoke signals in binary from the reservation it took six hours just to post this text.

14 Likes

Again… you don’t get to live in Montana… so I will take my slower speeds for more freedom :crazy_face:

Plus I can pick mine up and take it with me!

13 Likes