Starlink - Redneck meets high tech... or so I am told

phewwww!

So we moved again, bought a new place, took 7 months to find one, unreal what it takes these days, unreal

So when we left the UP (thank you God) I changed the address for my Starlink service and put it in stow, when I did that it said no service at that location, with other things to worry about I dismissed it…

Arriving at the new homestead and needing the net to work is when the concern set in :scream:

I won’t say it was quick, or without frustration, in fact I could say what I want as a bulk of the customer service was removed , a total of six replies look like this now

which I was surprised by, but those likely all contained my address and it sure would be nice if more companies showed the same concern

So the nitty gritty, I was dismissive of the location originally as this is the best damn internet I know of, and you can get it in Ukraine from what I hear, so why should I worry about not being able to get it in NMI?

Well a closer look reveals why, white circle my location, and light blue is available locations

Why Ukraine and not NMI… IDK :man_shrugging: but what I do know is in the end I actually received a phone call from Armando the Starlink rep I had been working with :hugs:

He said there was an update and wait another twelve hours and I should be good to go, which I did, and am, sure is great to be back online, and even better to get actual customer service too, lol, in my view it was better than a phone call from Pennsylvania ave :yep:

lol, less than a minute for sure, that was the entire survey :laughing:

Very happy with Starlink!

6 Likes

A friend in NE Texas is on the waiting list. He got an email for the StarLink for RV and ordered it. It came within a week. He got it set up last night and got this as a top speed.

He said he still needs to mount the dish in a better spot. If I lived on our land full time, this is the way I would go since we would be on a waiting list for however long.

6 Likes

I’ve had Starlink for about 2 months now. I live in a “waitlist” area just South of you, but it’s working well for me so far. Speed are highly variable, but much faster than my old dsl service.

7 Likes

When you got your email invitation how much time did you have to accept?

7 Likes

I don’t recall exactly, but they wanted a quick response.

7 Likes

I wanted to go with Starlink but it’s not available here and probably won’t be for at least another year. Even then, when I looked at the prices, I about shit myself. Don’t think it will be a viable option for us.

7 Likes

I agree. $110 is a bit steep. However, I was paying $95/month for lousy rural DSL service ($55 for internet plus $40 for the phone line). I am hoping that prices will drop as Starlink grows.

7 Likes

Don’t count on that, they went up recently, and the portability option costs extra too, is what it is

6 Likes

For decent hi speed internet in BFE I’ll pay what he wants.
Better than anything available out here at any price

6 Likes

$110 isn’t bad considering that is internet AND whatever channels you want to watch

7 Likes

I agree. I believe you can even do an Internet Phone and ditch the land lane or maybe reduce the cell bill.

I for one am looking forward to it better speeds and paying for it by slashing our cell bill. Unfortunately we need the mobile version so there’s that bit extra.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Even when Starlink is running a bit slow (50 Mbps), I can stream content without the constant buffering. I am happy to empty my wallet when the needle hits 200 Mbps. :star_struck:

My previous DSL service was 10-15 Mbps. I was lucky to have that option in my rural area, but it was painfully slow sometimes. It was more like dial-up internet when everybody was working and schooling from home.

6 Likes

This was while I was also streaming a movie on the rouku.

6 Likes

Saw where dish was trying to get congress to screw over starlink.

6 Likes

email they sent

Starlink Logo\ 151x25

Today we ask for your support in ending a lobbying campaign that threatens to make Starlink unusable for you and the vast majority of our American customers.

As recently reported, DISH Network has been hoarding spectrum for years as a strategy for preventing open and fair competition.

Most recently, DISH has been attempting to claim new rights to the 12 GHz band, which is the spectrum you currently use to download content with Starlink. Despite technical studies dating back as far as 2016 that refute the basis of their claims, DISH has employed paid lobbyists who are attempting to mislead the FCC with faulty analysis in hopes of obscuring the truth.

In reality, if DISH gets their way, Starlink customers will experience harmful interference more than 77% of the time and total outage of service 74% of the time, rendering Starlink unusable for most Americans. You can read the details here.

The FCC and your members of Congress have the power to stop this effort, but they need to hear from you.

Click here to ask the FCC and members of Congress to put an end to this threat.

7 Likes

Emails sent!

6 Likes

I received the same notification from Starlink, so I sent the emails. I actually received a response back from Senator Gary Peters and Rep. John Moolenaar.

6 Likes

Decent speeds this morning.

morningspeed

5 Likes

I see that StarLink can now provide internet service to moving vehicles in the US. This will be mostly planes, cruise ships a larger RVs. It is too big for cars at the moment.

7 Likes

The blue beast can handle it. I want to be the 1st guy with Starlink in a 1st Gen coal burner. :yep:

I know, the concept would be counterintuitive to Elon’s electric vision…but it would be pretty cool nonetheless. Admit it, Elon. :wink:

7 Likes