Starlink - Redneck meets high tech... or so I am told

phewwww!

So we moved again, bought a new place, took 7 months to find one, unreal what it takes these days, unreal

So when we left the UP (thank you God) I changed the address for my Starlink service and put it in stow, when I did that it said no service at that location, with other things to worry about I dismissed it…

Arriving at the new homestead and needing the net to work is when the concern set in :scream:

I won’t say it was quick, or without frustration, in fact I could say what I want as a bulk of the customer service was removed , a total of six replies look like this now

which I was surprised by, but those likely all contained my address and it sure would be nice if more companies showed the same concern

So the nitty gritty, I was dismissive of the location originally as this is the best damn internet I know of, and you can get it in Ukraine from what I hear, so why should I worry about not being able to get it in NMI?

Well a closer look reveals why, white circle my location, and light blue is available locations

Why Ukraine and not NMI… IDK :man_shrugging: but what I do know is in the end I actually received a phone call from Armando the Starlink rep I had been working with :hugs:

He said there was an update and wait another twelve hours and I should be good to go, which I did, and am, sure is great to be back online, and even better to get actual customer service too, lol, in my view it was better than a phone call from Pennsylvania ave :yep:

lol, less than a minute for sure, that was the entire survey :laughing:

Very happy with Starlink!

6 Likes

A friend in NE Texas is on the waiting list. He got an email for the StarLink for RV and ordered it. It came within a week. He got it set up last night and got this as a top speed.

He said he still needs to mount the dish in a better spot. If I lived on our land full time, this is the way I would go since we would be on a waiting list for however long.

6 Likes

I’ve had Starlink for about 2 months now. I live in a “waitlist” area just South of you, but it’s working well for me so far. Speed are highly variable, but much faster than my old dsl service.

7 Likes

When you got your email invitation how much time did you have to accept?

7 Likes

I don’t recall exactly, but they wanted a quick response.

7 Likes

I wanted to go with Starlink but it’s not available here and probably won’t be for at least another year. Even then, when I looked at the prices, I about shit myself. Don’t think it will be a viable option for us.

6 Likes

I agree. $110 is a bit steep. However, I was paying $95/month for lousy rural DSL service ($55 for internet plus $40 for the phone line). I am hoping that prices will drop as Starlink grows.

6 Likes

Don’t count on that, they went up recently, and the portability option costs extra too, is what it is

5 Likes

For decent hi speed internet in BFE I’ll pay what he wants.
Better than anything available out here at any price

5 Likes

$110 isn’t bad considering that is internet AND whatever channels you want to watch

6 Likes

I agree. I believe you can even do an Internet Phone and ditch the land lane or maybe reduce the cell bill.

I for one am looking forward to it better speeds and paying for it by slashing our cell bill. Unfortunately we need the mobile version so there’s that bit extra.

5 Likes

Absolutely. Even when Starlink is running a bit slow (50 Mbps), I can stream content without the constant buffering. I am happy to empty my wallet when the needle hits 200 Mbps. :star_struck:

My previous DSL service was 10-15 Mbps. I was lucky to have that option in my rural area, but it was painfully slow sometimes. It was more like dial-up internet when everybody was working and schooling from home.

5 Likes