Starlink - Redneck meets high tech... or so I am told

You should be set then!

10 Likes

Is that a basic chain link fence post?

9 Likes

Junction pole is a little bigger diameter. they are the ones at the corners. However, the adapter will work on the standard ones too.

10 Likes

Here is the instructions

They have everything plugged in when you unpack it from the box so you can see what goes where.

10 Likes

Only needed a 3/4"

The app wouldn’t work for me, certainly just due to my apptitude , I know notta about apps

So I just sat it in the drive, turned it on and waited for it to tell me which was up

After that I was able to figure out where to mount it, but first

fastest I’ve ever had :+1:

The thing was much larger than I expected or looked in photos, same with that instruction sheet, pfft

And they must be disinfecting for covid or something, smelled clean, not the usual china warehouse smell, the dog must have thought so as well

No real directions, or warranty I could find, but did see where its operating temp was only to 104* and 10-90% humidity

so… :thinking:

But everything was a 10, packing, install items, install effort

Even the modems appearance suits the name :rocket:

As of now its fully endorsable

12 Likes

How long was it between application and invitation for you?

11 Likes

Mailing list sign up date was Dec 1 , Invitation/order was Jan 18 and delivered Jan 28

9 Likes

12 Likes

LOL, pretty much :rofl:

10 Likes

Wow, they must have changed the ferrite choke on the cable that you got away with a 3/4" drill bit! Lucky bastard.

Yea the dish is like 24" across. It’s kind of big but not to the point it is obnoxious.

Your Upload speeds are WAY faster than mine. You are getting about 10 Mbps faster. Of course, my download speeds are faster. I have been hitting in the 200’s lately.

Sucks that you can’t get the app running. I found some features in it that is pretty cool a few days ago. When you are connected to your wifi on the modem, the app can pull statistics. In the last 12 hours I had 4 minutes of “beta down time” and 12 seconds of “no satellites” It can even tell you if it detects structures that are blocking it.

Because I am a geek… I went into the advanced diagnostics and looked at the code and there are some “features” in there that they are not advertising. Nothing crazy but it is interesting that they are looking into the future. I can tell you that the dish knows where it is. I can see the GPS coordinates out to something like 20 decimal places. Tech support can also see if the motors on the dish are seized, if the dish is moving (rotating and aiming or physically moving).

Now we just need to get the Quinns on it (@EQuinn and @mquinn55) and off that crappy service they suffer through.

As for time from application to acceptance. I applied on December 14th and was accepted on January 14th.

Welcome to the club brother.

10 Likes

I applied on Dec 20th. Still no word. :slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

Just got the email and ordered it. Decent internet here I come.

12 Likes

Guess it has been a couple decades since the last StarLink debacle so the names good again… make sure they ain’t microwaving you.

12 Likes

That’s great!

I’ve had a couple issues but over very pleased

My old ISP I dumped just sent me an email back when I asked for the prorated refund for unused service

“They don’t do that” was the reply

And just why do you think I dumped you will be my reply

11 Likes

for giggles… have you tried to apply again? use a different email account if you do

8 Likes

Awesome!

9 Likes

My (old) ISP just took their gear off the side of my house on Thursday. He looked at the dish and then me and simply said “starlink?”

I laughed, he cried. I showed him a speed test and now he is on an antidepressant. It was a good time. I am sure I am the first customer that they lost to Starlink.

If you have the app on your phone or tablet… if you connect to the SSID on your Starlink Modem and launch the app, in the top right corner is an icon that gets you to the stats. It will tell you all kinds of good stuff like how much outage you had, if there were times of no satelites, etc. When things go crazy, I launch the app to see if I have an outage.

10 Likes

I read this to my wife, we both threw our heads back and laughed :sweat_smile:

I’d bet we are the first as well, but since I really wanted out I removed the equipment and dropped it off last monday, They asked for info but I didn’t give any,

I did reply just this morning to their email, I suspect I’ll get a full refund, we’ll see

Also, I did get the app to work on our tablet, can see the report you mention, latency is 139 as I recall, I’ve had some issues with the forum loading and have had to F5 a few times

8 Likes

Over the past few days, service is a little more erratic for me. I have seen some more downtimes due to no satellite. But that is mostly since they launched the last batch of 60 satellites. I am sure they are moving things around up there.

9 Likes

Humm… I seem to be running a little slow today :rofl:

9 Likes