Steering wheel vibration/shake - balancing?

I wasn’t trying to cheap out but I guess I did.
I will look at the suggestions when replacing them for sure.

8 Likes

we all do

8 Likes

I just went in and asked if they had the same tires that I had on and got those installed same day. The originals weren’t bad, but had multiple punctures and plugs.

7 Likes

Whats @Caw have to do with your tires?

8 Likes

Absolutely nothing , now move on

7 Likes

Ahhh you got a fancy car lol

6 Likes

I was looking for a 5.7 Hemi, fabric seats, and basic package. No dealer had one. So I had to get whatever was the lowest package with a 5.7 hemi.

My first oil change at the dealer… I get 3 sheets of paper with a list of work! First few lines are oil, filter, labor, etc… rest are software updates. It was kind of insane.

7 Likes

I’ve got a 2001 Tahoe that I sorta inherited.
Newest vehicle I have ever owned before this was a 1986 K5 Blaxer.
The whole locking doors automatically… yeah, I turned that sh#t off.
Can’t leave the sunroof open with key off… figured out a workaround.
Buttons you press to do things and always a delay, or a dimming process instead of just turning the f off!
And my personal favorite (sarcasm) Computer Climate Control…
F that.
I want a machine that does exactly what I want, instantly, and I am not afraid to pull a rusty cable when I want the heater to work, instead of pushing a button and waiting for the computer to decide what it wants.

I can’t stand these newer trucks.
All plastic and soft.
You gotta pull a plastic cover off the top of your engine just to see the damn thing.

All the plastic and gizmos to go wrong and generally beep at you.
My M1009 has zero electronics.

I installed a buzzer, the sole purpose of which, alerts me when i leave the headlights on without the key in the ignition.
Other n that, no beeps, flashing leds, no dings, chirps nothing.
Even the dome light is on a manual switch.

Not even a glow plug card.

Took the radio i had installed back out because; with a healthy J code 6.2… you ain’t hearing nuthin but the sweet burble of non emissions 23 to 1 diesel compression ignited oil burning inside a tin can anyways.

7 Likes

A radio in a diesel is pretty damn useless imo,

my wifes car locks the doors and I cuss that crap every time I drive it

new trucks, dent easy, have no cab room and the emissions rants … :headache:

6 Likes

You can usually turn that auto lock feature off.
It is the most inane process too.
They’ve got a damn TV screen in the dash but you gotta turn the key on and off, step on the gas, flick the mirror control, push the window button three times… etc to turn off that stupid auto lock.
Argh!
Just give us a pickup with roll-em-up windows, a manual transmission, and a transfer case with a real lever.
I don’t need heated seats, the dome light to dim slowly, any beeping, or a computer to harass me about DING! “Low washer fluid” DING! “Door is ajar” yeah computer? Because there are 12 2x4’s hanging outta that sh#t SHUT UP!

7 Likes

While I am ranting.
The biggest scam in the automotive world is having a computer that can display in English, the exact fault code it is experiencing… yet they hide that information and make it some kinda secret that only a tech or a scanner can find.
They will absolutely lock the hood of vehicles someday and charge you through the nose any time they want, just because a 25 dollar sensor goes bad.

9 Likes

There isn’t enough information in this post. The replies mention mud and BFG mud terrains. That is often not noticed until faster speed, as mentioned. Or the drive shaft in a RWD car has a problem. Like a big dent from a boulder in a river bed…

7 Likes

Don’t forget inflation

At some point I’ll look into it, we jump in the van 99% of our trips, 7.3

9 Likes

I wonder when a roll of dollar bills will be cheaper than the same quantity of toilet paper?

9 Likes

Just left Jim’s tire center this morning.
He had his guys rebalance the tires and rotate them.

Got on the freeway and went. If before the vibration was 10, now it is 2 or 3. Still there but I feel it more in my seat rather than steering wheel though some of it is still there in the steering wheel. And again, at higher speeds

I will probably replace tires at his shop in a little while and see if new rubber (will go with BFG) will be easier to balance than what I have on the wheels now.

8 Likes

The shop needs to have a balancer that can measure road force variation.

7 Likes

That shop does it.
But again, I only feel the vibration at 70+

6 Likes

Now that you’ve incriminated yourself for breaking the law, what is the LEGAL speed limit? :oncoming_police_car:

6 Likes

I can show you the dashcam footage. I am just moving with traffic. Speed limit is 65.

6 Likes

Hey brother, more than likely you have some internal belt separation in one or more of the tires. This can happen from hitting potholes, curbs, or off-roading, running with low tire pressure or even rotating the tires to the wrong side of the car. Sometimes it just happens as they age.
You can try to balance this out, but it is a problem that won’t go away, and will get worse down the road. Bite the bullet and get some new ones ASAP. If you have a warranty left on them then try to get them to replace them under warranty.
My .02 I’ve been a mechanic for over 30 years and although I’m not an auto mechanic currently, I’ve seen this a lot in my career.
It would also be a real good idea to get an alignment done after replacing those tires…it will give them the best longevity and your steering will be matched to your new skins
Good luck brother!

8 Likes