Strange Question About 9mm and 357/38

So, I am slowly getting back into reloading. I’ve been reloading 9mm since that is what I shoot competitively in USPSA. That also happens to be the only set of dies I own.

I also just “inherited” a S&W .357 revolver from a family member. Beautiful gun but ammo for it is currently stupid expensive.

I know 357, 38 Special and 9mm are all similar diameters and the Lee die sets let you load both 357 and 38 with the same dies. My question is could the same also be done with the 9mm die set? Considering case length, I think 38 Special would be a better possibility but I’m wondering if it could be done at all. If it’s possible, I would just need to get my hands on the brass.

Or should I just quit being cheap and splurge on a set of 357/38 dies?

8 Likes

I don’t reload to answer 100%, but that answer is often the right one :grin:

8 Likes

We have both but don’t don’t reload or shoot 9mm… yet. We are planning on taking it up. Shooting it 1st that is, loading to follow. The wife wants a new purse gun, and I just want to get into both sides of the 40 i.e. shoot 9 &10mm. They are both Lee dies bought when there was deal.

Anyways, the 38spl will do .357 and the 40 s&w will do 10mm but the 9mm (Luger) is its own and so is the .380 (9mmKurz). I buy Lee dies for everything first. I will buy others later, but I always buy a Lee Die set first. Precision has them on sale currently.

9 Likes

Thanks for the input. I thought it might work but wanted to get opinions from those more experienced than me. At one point I did have a set of 38/357 dies but sold all my reloading stuff when I moved. Now I’m rebuilding and trying to get an idea of what I need compared to what I think I want.

8 Likes

Get the correct dies, crimping becomes important when loading full house 357 loads…and they are only about 40 bucks from MidwayUSA…

8 Likes

I like the Lee Turret for Pistol and Semi Auto Rifle. Set up a plate for each caliber. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for Bolt Action Rifle. Someday I may get a progressive too. These work for me so far.

8 Likes

This is what I have. Eventually, I will get another plate but just getting the dies for now would be sufficient. I know it’s a PITA taking them in and out but this is still a step up from what I was using last year at this time. All I had was a Lee hand press. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

8 Likes

I would get a set of .38/ .357 dies . Also I would not use 9mm bullets to load for .38 as they are different diameters. You can do it but they will not be very accurate.

8 Likes

Interesting food for thought. I know I’ve loaded 38’s with 380 before just because I ordered them by accident. (I really gotta work on reading comprehension!) They worked OK but nothing to write home about. I was always under the impression that these 4 were the same diameter and it was just case length that made the difference.

8 Likes

The 9mm uses .355 dia And the .38 uses .357 . The difference is small but it is enough to make an effect on accurately.

8 Likes

I think the .380 APC is supposed to be .356. I have heard you can use .355, and many do. A daughter in law shoots it so we’re looking at reloading it too.

9 Likes