Suppressor wait time

That’s odd. I’ve never heard of a dealer mailing the forms in for you. Is this common practice? :thinking:

Don’t let that one place discourage you from making future purchases elsewhere.

3 Likes

other than SBR I did myself dealers mailed everything, from what I have seen most NFA dealers now do passport photos and everything to ensure correctness, I did after pics and forms were filled out have to take to CLEO for signoff, otherwise dealer did everything, it’s under there license so I was fine with it, not much choice.

4 Likes

That sort of in house form processing could be a nice feature, but not if it costs time. It takes long enough as it is without adding to it.

I found out long ago that no one cares as much about me as I do. I can ramrod outgoing forms through in a few hours at most. Then when everything is together and ready to mail out I take it to the dealer to have them look it over for correctness. I even did that for my first SBR since it was their base gun I used for the build. BTW, that goes for everything (the I care more than anyone else attitude) even down to my healthcare. If you don’t take a personal interest you can be treated like a burger at the fast food drive through and maybe not treated even that good. It all depends on the person flipping you of course. Does it take time? Yes, it sure does.

3 Likes

Interesting. Here they do all the paperwork, pics, prints then hand you the package and tell you to put in a check and drop in the mail.

So if they mail it for you, how does the check for the stamp work? You give them the check made out to the BATF or they do something else?

3 Likes

After I got CLEO sign off I took the forms and checks to them , they checked everything and mailed, I had no issue with them sending, I knew it would be a long wait, I just think it was too long of a wait and just have doubts that the ATF got them within days of completing forms…no way to know so If I buy anything in the future I will just do it all myself.

3 Likes

Ah, okay. Here in my area I guess the dealers don’t want that responsibility of mailing so they review everything with you, hand you the pre-addressed, unsealed envelopes* telling you to not forget to include your check, and off you go. I do suppose they run the risk of someone never mailing the forms in, but surmise that’s highly unlikely somebody would pay in full and not submit for the stamp. I’m betting there’s also another reason the dealers here let the buyer handle the mailing…

*A little different in my area on CLEO engagement: We only have to “notify” not actually obtain approval. So of the two envelopes the dealer gives me one gets mailed to the CLEO, the other to the ATF. I do send both via registered mail with tracking numbers and keep a record of the USPS online delivery confirmation (especially the one sent to the CLEO) for my records.

3 Likes

Here you have to put the forms in the CLEO’s hands and then wait till he/she signs off on them and then they call you so you can pick them up…I think the reason the dealer does almost everything is because it is there License and want control of what happens and how it happens. I am ok with it, If I was a class 3 dealer I would want to have as much control as possible, would not want any calls or visits from the ATF over screwed up ppwk….

3 Likes

Ugh… even if the CLEO is NFA friendly that really sucks and just adds to the overall wait time -not to mention the burden put on the CLEO to actually have to engage in the process.

They really should nix the NFA and stop wasting everyone’s time.

3 Likes

In WV the CLEO has to sign off if he has NO verifiable reason not to…he has to prove legal reasons why he won’t, but how long it takes for him to sign off is another story…

3 Likes

So far the CLEO does sign off pretty quick, within a week…This was my 4th and 5th Stamps and so far no issues with him signing off…I really don’t think most care one way or the other, just going through the motions…

3 Likes

The joys of living in small town USA…

I just stop in and an officer fingerprints me immediately, as long as they have no calls, and when there existed a CLEO sign off I’d immediately go in to see the chief and get that done. But that portion of our form has been missing for some time now. I thought it was a federal form, but I guess not.

I could quite literally, pick up the forms after lunch and by 3PM have them in the mail with freshly done prints, pix, everything. I always assumed it was small town USA that was responsible for the lack of red tape. Just buying a handgun was a much more lengthy process 40 years ago in NJ. A can or anything else on the list? Forget about it! It might have just been the noticeable difference between a free state and a police state and nothing else.

3 Likes

16 days since I first posted, guess what I got today. 5.56 socom. Most likely a year to the day.

5 Likes

I have the same one, have run a lot of rounds through it…still looks basically new.

4 Likes

I have a surefire 5.56k and love the thing. With subsonic 33gr loads it’s hellywood quiet.

4 Likes