Surviving Civil Conflict and Famine

So who is building stuff?
Anyone with a root celler?
Anyone prepping?

6 Likes

Yep, my entire life seems to be a prep, (with religion first)

Like you we just moved and starting over, a bit tough, our home isn’t entirely floored yet, lots of half ass stuff in the works, just had a 40yd dumpster delivered as there’s a TON to clean up, thats what we’ve been doing for 2+ weeks straight, with a few preps here/there, bought a dozen chicks, got 300 gallons of diesel delivered

6 Likes

The fuel is super important!!!
Cleaning up is too.
I am in a constant state of doing all that. Planning on filling 8 propane tanks tomorrow… maybe it is more. Cannot remember. Anyway, it is not going to get any cheaper. I think I will have 12 total then.

6 Likes

In 1966 my ole man sat me down and said before your life is over, thee is going to be something happen that will change the face of the planet and begin the down fall of society.

He called 9/11 decades before it happened. Now look what a mess we are in.

Before 1950 80% of America fed itself. Now less that 5%.

We had nothing in 2001. Now things are different. My brother and I are fully stocked, our sister remains blind.

Fuel will run out. Out here in the pacific northwet we have lots of wood. Gas and propane will be fought over here soon.

When I first started driving my truck to work, it was $60 ever two weeks. Now its $135. Truck is parked, full. Riding my Harley, it was $9 to fill it when I bought it last spring.
Fill up last week was $30. So Im using a fraction of the fuel but paying the same as I have been.

We are weak, have no infrastructure, fuel reserves gone, stock market shows the down turn.

We got a fake president, and anti Americans running the USA.
Sounds like a ball of confusion to me.

8 Likes

How are you handling food storage?

7 Likes

I gave up on long haul survival. Now i just want to outlive the roaches in the city who i am sure will be looking/expecting for a 2:00pm MRE drop.
Who knows, if i make it up to the bol i might even live a while longer

8 Likes
6 Likes

We can eat our supplies for over a year. It took us 8 years to eat up the rice reserves up, as they got closer to being too old.

The last 3 bags of rice we bought went up $14 then a month later $6.
The pantry is full.

6 Likes

Not the greatest information… but the best I could find…
I have the plan to be eating 4 chickens a month… give or take…
Thus the flock right now is 76 chickens and 6 turkeys…
The duck, Mr Quackers… doesn’t count because he is my buddy.

8 Likes

I’d say you’re well ahead of the curve, now, can you maintain this pace :grin:

7 Likes

That will remain to be seen!! I need to get them just a little bit bigger… then they can start to “free” range in fenced off areas in the yard.
Meanwhile, they are really cute… in a uggly way.
LOL

8 Likes

First day out of a cage really…
Will not be long before I can harvenst my first chicken and start getting a few eggs.
I need to figure out how to “pasture” them so I do not need to buy feed. Looking into planting stuff…
I do not think i really have the area to do anything more but garden. Despite living where I do, i am in a rain shadow… 16 inches of rain a year here. If I was about to buy more land, great place for sheep… but they could over graze and I am right back at having to buy feed…
Better stick with the birds…

8 Likes

After the last 2 days of what the Supreme Court has veen up too… things will gwt interesting

6 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

So there is a lot more to making do besides food n water, decent shelter…
You need to make sure your transportation is up to snuff!!
Anyone check their radiator? See if it needs to be cleaned?
Oil? Grease?
I love new vehicles, but who can afford one?!
Keep fixing the ones we have is what I do.
So i was working on my cousin’s truck… needed a new water pump. Cleaned the radiator… installed new idler pullies for the drive belt.

Took the time to chase tap all the holes then blow them out with compressed air.
He is back on the road!

Attention to details…

8 Likes

Not seeing the baby killers raising the kind of hell they said they would…I guess getting a Latte and nails done is more important…

8 Likes

I bought a new (used) truck and took it in for a few items to be checked, I don’t have the space or time and do believe it is very important too, got my cruise fixed, happy about that, and exhaust brake working, steering is due early next month, busy shop

7 Likes

If you have a well maintained vehicle, you can get out of Dodge if you need too…
So over looked by a lot of people.
Sure, i sometimes takw it to extremes, i did race vehicles and overland exploration… so vehicle prep was just part of it.

8 Likes

Yeah… I am waiting… but you are right, i was expecting a lot more.

6 Likes