SWFA 20x42

I just picked one of these up for my 300 Win Mag. Not a bad scope for the price. It was about $300. Only issue I see, comparing to my Zeiss, is it tends to have a lot of glare. Clarity and light gathering are pretty good. Negligible difference from the Zeiss.

8 Likes

Very nice! When are you going to get the chance to test it out?

3 Likes

The plan is to go sight it in this weekend. I’ll only have access to 100 yards but that should get the scope dialed in. I finally got a few weekends off from racing so, with a little luck, I’ll be able to get out to a better range soon.

3 Likes

We’ll be waiting for a range report!

3 Likes

Where did you get that for $300?

2 Likes

SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Quad Reticle 1/10 Mil Adjustments Rear Focus SS20X42MQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGOJ132/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Rns5cIwuU7fgN

3 Likes

I too have had very good luck with their scopes, exceptional tracking as well…

Went to the local 100 yd range today. Note to self… don’t drink a bigass coffee before you get there. I was jittery as hell. Still managed to dial it in pretty good. I shot some ammo I loaded up over ten years ago. The scattered group was with Nosler 180 gr ballistic tip hunting bullets seated a little too far

from the lands. The good group was Berger 185 gr VLD seated almost into the lands.
Really liking this scope so far. Didn’t notice the glare as much at the range. Love the focus. Since its a fixed 20x, I was a bit concerned about close range. Time to hit my buddy’s shooting club and see how it does at 300.

6 Likes

I don’t know why it stuck the pics in the middle of my post. Lol

3 Likes

That’s where the moneys at :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Nice shooting!!

3 Likes

+1 on the Bergers, I’ve also noticed that they do well up close to the lands. Then I’ve seen them do good set back about .070 just not in-between, kinda strange… Several different caliber/cartridges.
I’m assuming you’re shooting a 30 caliber, what case you pushing them with?

3 Likes

300 WinMag. Actually have some old Lapua brass that I bought before they quit making it. I think that was N160 powder. Been a long time. I’m going to try some IMR 7977 next time.

2 Likes

I see, Lapua is excellent brass… Very consistent :ok_hand:
You might also try H4831SC, I’ve had good luck with that sometimes, H1000 is good but be careful stepping up, it gets to Max pressure very fast but it’s very consistent and not as Temp sensitive as others…
I quit working with the win mag case for anything years ago so it’s been a bit of a trip down memory lane for me, thanks.

Google Photos

This is one of my .338 ultra mag builds, 5 shots at 200 yrds… 300 grn Bergers, Nosler brass, reloader 25 and Federal gold medal match magnum primer.

4 Likes

Great group!

1 Like

Thanks, it was difficult to do that… Was trying to build a light weight hunting rig good for 1000 yards ( I know a bit of a unicorn ) found out that some loads do better at long range and not at 100, like 5/8 inch @ 400 and 1-3/4 @ 100! Go figure, long range shooting is challenging. Leaned that alot of bullets need time to settle down :thinking:

3 Likes

Damn nice shooting! :sunglasses:
I’ve had several people suggest the H1000. I wanted to try the 7977 because I’ve been told temperature sensitive is almost non existent. I’ve loaded and sighted in 100° temp but then hunted at 19°. Don’t know if the 7977 is that good but I guess I’ll find out. Lol

Funny thing about the seating depth… I loaded those over ten years ago and apparently took lousy notes. I went back and remeasured. They were actually all seated a little past .070. Even the Noslers.

2 Likes

Thanks KeithP, kinda funny how things work out sometimes… I’ve never tried the 7977 but I probably will, H1000 is also not that sensitive. I built some rifles for a long range Hunter, using a 300 Ultra Mag and H1000 works very well and as like most hunters temperature is a big deal, he’s done very well, takes game well beyond 600 yards. I’m not advocating that for people however this person also shoots a bunch at many different ranges including a mile routinely… For him I say no problem here ya go!
I’ve also had very good luck with reloader 22 and 25 as far as accuracy and velocity goes… But Temp sensitive, the New stuff… 26 I think is supposed to be good to go, will be trying it soon.
I’ve done a crap load of testing years ago, just don’t have that much time now with the new rifle development project…

3 Likes

I was hoping to get out to 300 yds tomorrow but I won’t have access to that range. Probably should just spend some quality time at the load bench anyway.

2 Likes