Tactical vs practical shooting and why you need both

Yes, shooting at night is not as easy as one would think. Bug issue is seeing your target next is dealing with muzzle flash.

4 Likes

Yup, see how your sights wash/don’t wash out with the use of a light.

All too many of these debates focus on combat vs. tactical vs. sport, and that is usually focused on the hardware. The software is the same deal; muscle memory, movement, comms
 It is a “merchant of doubt” tactic for getting people into their high $$$ classes, making students believe they are lacking something when they are probably not, other than range time itself.

Whatever you are going to do, try to do it outdoors; natural light and less lead exposure. I’ve seen too many die early from the toxicity of the indoor ranges that have inadequate maintenance and filtration. No joke.

7 Likes

You can learn a lot from a reputable instructor. There is no magic pill for this stuff but a legit instructor goes a long ways towards correcting bad habbits and really pushing you. Getting training should be part of a persons firearms budget, right up there with ammo. Nobody knows it all and just about everybody can learn a thing or two from a qualified instructor. A low light/night fighting course from a legit source like VTAC, Paul Howe, Jason Falla,Frank Proctor , Pat McNamara, Thunder Ranch etc would teach a person a lot more then just seeing stuff at night. The classes are packed full of useful info. Flashlight techniques, retention, searching the interior of a house or building, proper Identification techniques, proper mindest, etc etc.

Where I tell people to be careful is in selecting an instructor, there are a lot of phonies and dick heads that are not worth a persons time or money.

3 Likes

This is my biggest problem no trust in people I don’t know.

3 Likes
3 Likes

You may want to step a few yards back on this one, and let your keyboard cool off.

If you are getting “referrals” for people on training off of forums, but don’t actually KNOW the training communities in the U.S., how about just stepping back please.

3 Likes

Copy that, and your PM.

I appreciate your apology and enthusiasm for training.

Unfortunate your public response does not match your PM. Good luck.

3 Likes

The time constant would be my biggest issue as for seeking outside instructors. After reading through the thread it just got me to thinking of what I could do for myself. As soon as I find a mount for holding the phone I could make a video to look at my own probably poor form in slow motion if needed. I thought that was a great idea from another thread. I could post it here and you guys could critique the hell outta me. LoL

2 Likes

I have been getting “outside” training for decades. In all manner and forms. From taking a basic motorcycle road course 3 times to my certifications in SCUBA. Training is key
 and, from a wide variaty of instructors.
Much like cross training, every course you take you will come away with something. Just make sure it is a safe environment!

4 Likes

Start with your local NRA training group, ask lots of questions, measure what you’re getting thrown at you. It’s affordable, supports the sports, usually a safe environment to learn in.

4 Likes

Boy, the Rob Leatham video was remarkable and to the point. Two different criteria for success in each discipline, that just happens to involve using firearms. I have busted matches for some reason, still safe. On the otherhand, folks shooting at me, not safe.
You all have submitted very good arguments for different points of view. That we can discuss the differences and learn from eachother is the best reason or cause for this whole forum. Good Job

3 Likes