Taking care of your gear is as important as cleaning your guns

9 Likes

@CrazySharp you are dead on that your gear needs attention too. No bueno when you go to use your gear and it fails due to lack of care.
I will caution the use of mink oil though. Neatsfoot oil is the recommended nourishment for leather as the mink oil will degrade the leather in time (it is also cheaper oz for oz).
Learned the hard way and destroyed a leather jacket doing the mink oil thing.
It was my favorite jacket too… :frowning:

7 Likes

+1 on that Galaco specifically tells you not to use mink oil on their holsters, or at least they did the last time I bought one. I also like beeswax

5 Likes

They get a leather conditioner monthly and I mink oil them once a year

6 Likes

You may want to discontinue that practice, at least until you’ve researched that a bit first :wink:

6 Likes

I’m a long time mink oil user, have a very dated jacket that’s only held up do to its conditioning IMO

I’ve tried bear grease, prefer mink

5 Likes

Yup, i haven’t seen it but i know what it looks like. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

This may sound very millenial of me but taking care of kydex/synthetic is far easier to deal with than leather. :grimacing: I wipe it off a few times a year and voila no issues. I dont mind maintaining my guns but I really dislike messing with my gear.

5 Likes

lol, yep, it looks just like that, except my patches are repair patches, turns out when you’re out of it you shouldn’t toss your jacket on the candles :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Well I did a good bit of research on mink oil destroying leather since you guys posted this up and I couldn’t find anything in the first four pages of my Google search that said anything about it. I’ve used mink oil on all of my leather items for years including a pair of boots that I’ve owned for going on 20. I appreciate y’all’s concern but I’ve never had an issue with leather being affected by mink oil … Except maybe to darken it a little but that’s fine

4 Likes

Now if you’re talking about it softening the leather that’s a valid point if you like a stiff holster… I find it doing a slight application of Mink oil once a year has not affected any of the holsters shown in the picture. If I wanted a rigid holster without give I would get a Kydex one

4 Likes

That’s all I ask…
My info came from my personal experience and a good saddlery shop.
And as always: ymmv

4 Likes

Were you working with pleather?

Obviously I’ve not mink oiled every piece of leather worldwide throughout time but can’t see at all how mink oil does anything other than condition and protect leather, leathers biggest enemy as I see it is drying out, something that won’t occur with oil soaked in

How was your leather destroyed by it?

3 Likes

From what I was able to find, it is not the actual leather, the acid in the mink oil was bad for the stitching. I can’t remember where I read that, I’ll look around today. I have used mink oil a lot myself, my leathers are at least 20 years old and no ill effects. and I used it on my boots for years, I don’t know if it hurt them or not seeing as I beat the crap out of them and they rarely made it more than 2 years at best. I know it will soften the leather, it’s more work but wax or leather conditioner works better for me, as stated before, YMMV and this is just what works for me. I think the point of the point was to get of our asses and take care of our gear, which cost me 3 hours yesterday on one fancy gun belt and holster and will cost me a few more today.
As for @JF89 and your Kydex… lazy heathen

2 Likes

I put yankee sweat on these when i carried them in the civil war.

3 Likes

:thinking: I didn’t know that Ruger was around back then, I don’t remember seeing any.

2 Likes

Shhhhhhh! wasn’t nobody supposed to notice that.

2 Likes

I’m sorry

2 Likes

Nice holsters BTW

2 Likes

No chance that it was pleather. To qualify myself I’ve done leatherwork since I was 14 (a very long time ago). It was a Vetter leather motorcycle jacket and my baseball glove that were the unwitting “victims” of the Mink… oiled them up twice a year. About 10 years later both started to crumble up (akin to drying out type cracking) but were still supple. I’ve never seen leather do that before or since. I was a tad put out by the destruction of the jacket btw.
I hope this clarifies my position on Mink oil.

Sent from my sophisticated high tech electronic device.

2 Likes