Taurus M66

Yah or Nah

My experience with wheel guns tend to lean towards old iron (75 to century old) and this includes both Colts, Swiss Ordinance, Webley, Enfield and S&Ws (chasing 1918 S&W 455 as I type).
Even though I have no requirement to justify the price, the more modern snake guns are out of reach and than I noticed Taurus M66
If you squint just right it could be mistaken for a S&W 686 and as a new gun doesn’t have a Hillary Hole. And it is half the price plus sports a one extra round.
Hence the dilemma.

9 Likes

The only Taurus we repeatedly had to send back to be repaired was the judge. The 66 is a dependable revolver. Is it a Colt or S&W no but not a bad gun. Look at the Kimber 357’s or Ruger’s too.

6 Likes

call me fuddy but the kimbers just don’t strike that cord in me, not saying they are ugly but… for money they want I could get a snake gun. And the rugers seem plain when placed against the S&W

7 Likes

I have a 4 inch 66 and it’s a good revolver, I shoot some pretty stout handloads and so far no issues.

7 Likes

I’ve got a stainless 4” 66 as well, the old model (6 rounds) made around ‘82 back when S&W owned a huge share of Taurus. I’ve ripped mine apart and detail cleaned it and to be honest, It’s almost an exact S&W clone.

If you get the one of the older ones, I really think that it’s the best revolver deal for the buck that you can find out there.

8 Likes