10 Likes

Man, I hope you guys get this through.

10 Likes
10 Likes

we are working on it FO SHO

10 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

Our governor John Bell Edwards (a friggin ranger) said he would veto any CC that came across his desk.

9 Likes

Thanks for compiling this! Iā€™ve been watching this bill closely this legislative session. Iā€™m also cautiously optimistic itā€™ll pass. Iā€™m surprised at the supposedly Republican Lt Governorā€™s reluctance in getting this passed, though, as well as his discouraging comments on whether itā€™ll even pass. As a Texan, Iā€™m also surprised itā€™s taken our state this long just to get to this point.

Anyway, Iā€™m confused as to why itā€™s called ā€œConstitutional Carry.ā€ Wouldnā€™t that imply the Stateā€™s Constitution is being amended to allow for carrying without a license? Shouldnā€™t it be called ā€œPermitless Carryā€?

Thereā€™s also SB513, the so-called ā€œSanctuary Stateā€ bill. I read how it was recently amended on April 27 with wording that appears to water it down with a loophole. The bill supposedly bans state and local law enforcement from enforcing new federal gun control laws passed after January 2021. The amendment creates an exception to the ban if the state or local law enforcement are part of a joint task force with federal law enforcement. To me, that sounds like a loophole/workaround by simply creating a joint task force, thereby falling under the exception. I wonder if the amendment was proposed to placate the law enforcement lobby thatā€™s against the HB1927 permitless carry bill?

8 Likes

Itā€™s called Constitutional Carry because the 2nd Aā€™ says ā€œkeep and bearā€. Itā€™s no more complex than that. Using the word permit anywhere in it implies some sort of permission.

10 Likes

dan patrick could have easily kept it off the floor. had it not been for the this committee it likely would not not gotten to the floor as it needed 18 votes to go straight in. the fact that he was a part of making the committee happen, supposedly, seems to mean maybe he knows he has the 16 required on the floor for sure, just not sure on the 18. right now there seems to be about 4 republicans saying they are undecided publicly, but in private they all say they are for it. that means that if only 2 are telling the truth we are good to go AND that is if no democrats flop. there were 7 flops in the house, so 1 or 2 flops in the senate is a possibility, not likely but possible. in fact, if they know it can pass anyway, we might even see a few democrats jump on the bandwagon, which looks good on paper. we can then say to some of the anti gun folks, look, texas passed constitutional carry with a somewhat bipartisan vote. though deep down we will know that is not really the case.

11 Likes

Any idea who the R holdouts are?

9 Likes

@Equin they are basically the same thing just different ways of wording it. in my opinion there are both good and bad arguments to be made no matter what the name is. at the end of the day, it donā€™t care if they call it devil worship baby killer carry, if it achieves what we want, pass it already, you know.

7 Likes

ok, so here is a list but i have not spoken with ANY of these in a few days AND as i said, they have just not made a public statement one way or anotherā€¦ so that is not the same as them saying they wonā€™t vote for it

• SD 3 - Robert Nichols (512) 463-0103
  • SD 7 - Paul Bettencourt (512) 463-0107
  • SD 11 - Larry Taylor (512) 463-0111
  • SD 12 - Jane Nelson (512) 463-0112
  • SD 17 - Joan Huffman (512) 463-0117
  • SD 31 - Kel Seliger (512) 463-0131
7 Likes

Hereā€™s what our State Constitution says about the right to keep and bear arms:

ā€œEvery citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms , with a view to prevent crime.ā€

To me, itā€™s squirrely. First part of the sentence says every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for self defense. I agree thatā€™s simple and easy enough to understand. But then the second part seems to put a limit on that. Sort of like, ā€œyeah, you can keep and bear arms, but you can only do so under these prescribed conditions.ā€ To add to the confusion, one would think ā€œbear armsā€ means to carry them on oneā€™s person. But here they add a new phrase, ā€œwearing of arms.ā€ By not using ā€œbearing of arms,ā€ itā€™s presumed that ā€œwearingā€ is something different. Despite all that, the qualifying secondary phrase leaving it up to the legislature to regulate doesnā€™t seem like a true, absolute Constitutional right to carry in my opinion.

By comparison, hereā€™s what New Hampshireā€™s State Constitution says in Article 2a:

ā€œAll persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.ā€

That sounds simple enough. No qualifying conditions nor the use of the words ā€œregulatedā€ or ā€œregulate.ā€

And even if HB1927 passes and is signed into law, there appears to be nothing in the State Constitution preventing the legislature from repealing the law in the future.

Now, if youā€™re talking about the US Constitution, I agree. But until the US Supreme Court decides that issue, there are many that interpret ā€œa well regulated militiaā€ to mean that the right to keep and bear arms is one that can only be exercised under certain restrictions and regulations. I donā€™t necessarily agree with that interpretation and am anxious to hear what the Supreme Court has to say about it now that itā€™s agreed to hear the New York case.

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious to know as well. I believe our own District 22 Senator Birdwell supports HB1927.

7 Likes

Youā€™re right. Itā€™s all semantics.

7 Likes

Yeah, state law can vary. I never address others folks state laws since I donā€™t know them. But Maine basically restates the US 2nd Aā€™ and adds, ā€œshall not even be questioned.ā€. Despite that itā€™s questioned.

8 Likes