The 3 Components of Surviving a Gunfight – Proficiency, Tactics, & Luck

ccw

Get some lucky underwear and a rabbits foot, it should help with that.

If someone would like to give Murphy a lift, that might help…he’s been riding shotgun with me for way too long.
He doesn’t seem to care about the lucky rabbits foot either (side note: ever consider how unlucky that rabbit was?)

Lol true

He’s been following me around as I try to take care of some stuff for my clients, so you should be good for the time being.

Where did you get this training? Can you recommend some place?

What kind of training? Are you asking about good carbine classes out there? (which is where I recommend Starting)

You are in California right?

I’m talking about this. Yes, I am in California, but my daughter is in Oregon. She needs basic pistol first, but eventually other stuff too. I’m actually wary about her having a gun until she has some awareness training. She’s oblivious most of the time.

Well one of the best instructors you can get is right here in Oregon.

Clint Smith is the instructors name
https://thunderranchinc.com

But the basic NRA classes are a great start and much cheaper. Thunder Ranch is probably some of the best instruction money can buy though. Clint Smiths wife teaches womans courses, or did.

Here is another decent one , basic ccw stuff but with some basic live fire included. I do not know much about this guy but he is well liked for basic training in the Portland metro area.

That actually ended up being what most of the class was! @Comanchero45 Murphy didn’t show up at our class tonight :grinning: unless you count the hot brass down my shirt :hot_face:

Glad to hear you avoided Murphy!
Hot brass down the shirt is just part of training…had one land right between the side of my glasses and the side of my face and get stuck there while in a training course…talk about distracting! Luckily I have years of experience being burned, so I handled it with more grace and a few less colorful words than some others.
Had one trainee get the hot brass treatment and then proceeded to do the hot brass boogie while waving their loaded gun in every inappropriate direction possible. Definitely a good way to get the instructors attention!

I personally like both and will go into detail more on this in a bit but for now here is a video from Rob Leatham ,possibly the best semi-auto pistol shooter of all time (even better than Miculek according to some).

Both translate well in to each other.

was just going to say that

Took a bit for me to warm up to his videos but I am starting to come around.

easier to teach a competitive shooter to be tactical than the other way around

I’ve seen many police officers show up at the range for USPSA. They talk big, rip on other shooters, then when it’s their turn to make a run, totally blow it.

Most cops are neither. Training one time a year at qualifiers is hardley “tactical”.

Goes both ways, some competitive shooters build bad habits that work for gaming but are not ideal for tactical/defensive stuff. Some of the best competitive shooters started in tactical shooting in the military.

I remember an instructor telling me something along the lines of: " He is likely not that much faster, just more efficient. Competitive shooting is more about efficiency than speed" , makes sense too.

Completely agree. Being good at tactics requires being good at shooting fast and accurate. Competetive shooters are the masters at shooting quickly and accurately. They tend to dominate tactics oriented classes IMO and the tactical focused people tend to shoot slowly and with minimal accuracy.

Cocky police officers are my least favorite people at a USPSA match. They talk big and consistently can’t hit crap. I’ve seen one literally miss half of the targets, including five yard targets.