The 3 Components of Surviving a Gunfight – Proficiency, Tactics, & Luck

ccw

So very very true.

If you move quickly, but have six steps to do a two step thing, you’ll never be as fast as the person who moves slower but completes the same task in fewer steps.

Efficiency is critical for speed. Efficiency also tends to be “smoother” - which is critical for accuracy.

I have no problem with them shooting poorly, we’re all there to learn and train. It’s the cocky attitude that bothers me. Then when you try to offer a little advice, they get pissy. Not all are like this. Some are great and keep shooting. But far to many get this, well, this is stupid and I don’t need it attitude and never return

Completely agree. They act like they’re the best and are above training, but they perform the worst.

I love low skill shooters who are interested in learning and improving. These types of people are stereotypically not interested in learning in the slightest. They blame their poor performance on the “game” without realizing their poor marksmanship has nothing to do with the game.

I fear for any innocent bystanders should these types of police officers have to draw their gun.

If the game was the problem, everyone there would have the same issues. Admitting your own short comings is hard for some, impossible for others.

I am going to go over some of the issues I have seen , stuff ive read or things I have been told to watchout for when training. Not all or even most people do these things but it is something that some people do in competitive shooting that should be worked on.

1. Some competition shooters do not use cover in a tactical manner. What I see sometimes is peek and shoot or the shooter leaning out as far as possible to engage as many targets as possible.

2. It’s hard to cleanly hit quickly moving targets. So I’d try to be a quickly moving target. IDPA typically underemphasizes the need to be “hard to hit” from movement, in favor of shooting from cover.

3. Something ive heard that makes sense is : " The kind of caution I’d use in a gunfight will kill my scores. The kind of speed you need in competitions will get me killed in a real (multi-attacker)fight, balance is the key here.

Another thing that I have seen used to be something tactical instructors taught, they only shoot the target once or twice. You should be shooting untail they drop. These are just little things to keep an eye on and adjust if you are trying to find that balance. I personally would focus on the bare basics then a take a tactical course and get an idea of proper TTPs then implement competitive shooting to refine my shooting technique. Its all about balance and understanding the differences and ways to work both in a way that works for you.

I find myself using tactics when comp shooting. I don’t reach through a window to shoot. When I open a door I look. not just run through. I only lean as far as I need to to engage the target, when more than one target, I only lean to hit the first, then lean to engage the next and so on. Not just lean way out to hit them all. I’m not fast because of health issues, but I hit what I aim at.

That is the the way to do it , imo. I am the same way.

One other issue that a person should watch and its something I have timed …a lot , is mag reloads,
In IDPA you had to retain your mags (aka tactical reloads) but in a fight where speed and accuracy is of the most importance I drop it and will come back later if I can. I have my times logged ,I will find them and post them later. Imo, tac reloads are not for the heat of the moment unless you are secure behind a barrier.