The ammo topic, until we get a dedicated ammo forum

Let’s discuss all things ammo in here.

9 Likes

@Chuparosa
I buy ammo one time a year the Black Friday sales
You pick up free shipping, and you’ll get the best price of the year.
I understand everybody’s situation is different, this is the way I prefer to do it and it works very well for me.

6 Likes

Where do you consistently get your ammo from?

4 Likes

How about a dedicated reloading forum for us handloaders out there!

6 Likes

I’m to the point where I reload much of my ammo. But for those cases where I just need something, Walmart sells federal aluminum 9mm real cheap. While this doesn’t work in my race gun, it does for the PCC. It’s nice because there’s no need to recover the cases. Other larger ammo like 6.5 grendal, and .308 I get from Fleet farm. For the real big stuff, the .50 bmg, I get from my local gun shop, he gives me the boxes at cost, $30 a box

1 Like

Midway USA is close and runs good sale most of the time or Wal mart for range ammo reloading supply I buy local on powder and make a trip or two a year to Serria as they are only one hour away.

3 Likes

Midway usa for match. Sometimes runnings has good stuff. Prices are not bad… but not good either. I order all reloading bullets from midway. Powder we have a distributor in vt. So I get my powder orders and primers from the local shop here in NH.

1 Like

I have not bought ammo since around 2003 except for some cases of 22LR and a few boxes of 380.

Every time I bought a machine gun I would set aside $1K-$2K for ammo at the same time. As it was the era of cheap surplus I have over 100K rounds stored for my guns which should last me until the guns are passed to my heirs and then some. I have a Dillon 1050 but found that it was cheaper to buy surplus than to reload when I figured the cost of my time. So it sits in my closet unused for the last 20 years. I still load for my accuracy bolt guns.

3 Likes

How appropriate Gunny came by to scold me. RIP

3 Likes

Bud’s Gun Shop for what I don’t reload.

2 Likes

@Chuparosa, FYI SGAmmo.com is having their annual Father’s Day sale going on now!

4 Likes

@Chuparosa, I’m not sure what you’re asking? have you shot similar ammunition through your rifle before?

1 Like

@Chuparosa, I think because of the price it would be worth picking up at least a thousand rounds, if you’re not happy with it you could always flip it to a friend.

2 Likes

I’ll just put this here. :cowboy_hat_face:

Oh, this was from bulkammo.com in case anyone is wondering. And yes, I love the Bear ammo…

3 Likes

There’s an easy cure to the continuing dilemma of having sufficient ammo on hand.
Don’t shoot so much.
Well focused practice doen’t require tons of ammo.
Where I used to use up to 400 rounds per gun at a typical practice session, (revolver, pistol and carbine),
I found with a more focused practice, I rarely need more than maybe 75 rounds per gun, if that.
And get better results, greatly simplifying my life.
Just a thought.

1 Like

Like that new insanely fast Dodge with 800 horsepower.
At speed it uses something like a gallon of fuel every 11 seconds.
It probably gets no complaint from the local gas stations.
Burn that ammo!

2 Likes

Those are good points. We like shooting, so practice is only part of the process, enjoyment for us is the other. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I reload for training, competition, practice and, I buy factory for carry/home defense.
I buy smaller quantities mostly from local brick and mortal like SportsmansWarehouse, BassPro and Ventura. I get discounts from both SW & BP.
I buy bulk mostly from online retailers when the prices are good enough to offset the shipping/tax and quantities high enough.
Big Box stores like Walmart generally don’t carry what I shoot.

2 Likes

Yes to the above.
I reload most everything, too.
Doubt if I have more than a few store bought boxes of ammo.
Never found much of what I shoot at any store, either.
Once in awhile I would come across the Winchester lo noise, lo recoil shotgun rounds.
And there used to be plenty of cheap .22s once upon a time.
Not so much lately, though.

1 Like

PSA has some very good pricing on most ammo…Target Sports often has good pricing…Cabela’s will have good sale pricing on ammo, just gotta keep checking on website…a lot of bulk surplus ammo can be had for basically same price from a lot of sites. Everglades Reloading is a good place to get bulk brass and bullets.

2 Likes