The crap other "gun smiths" do.... 🙄

Can’t believe I totally forgot this one. Several years back I had to replace the stock on an SKS for a friend of mine because someone had …deep breath… PERMANENTLY ATTACHED AN AK MAG WITH RTV SILICONE… Now, I know what you’re thinking. Cut the silicone, get it out of there, install the proper magazine. My thoughts, exactly. Except the foundation for this little bit of amazingness was a layer of JB Weld on the flats below the feed lips. When I attempted the normal procedures to free the stock from the action…it was the opposite of freed. When I placed the stock in a vice and pried down on the barrel, the stock broke in half just behind the mag well. Managed to break the rest of the stock off and grind away the epoxy that had oozed up into the receiver and replace it with a polymer stock.

This SKS was procured at the same time as an AK that had it’s rivets removed and replaced with bolt. And, for years after, the guy that bought them to me was not allowed to purchase firearms without first consulting me.

I am looking for a gunsmith who could work on a shotgun that my grandfather bought about 100 years ago. It is a Meriden SxS. It is loose and needs a repair if possible. It was repaired many years ago for the same thing.

That’s a common issue with old break actions and were designed to be fitted. Any reputable gunsmith in your area should be able to address that for you.

This thread has been super entertaining. Thank you all for sharing.

:grinning:

Raging debate over on FALfiles about whether this one is safe to shoot, how to repair it, and most importantly…WHY was this done!!!

Man, thats sketchy, I’d say get a new receiver or fill and tap that, no one knows the why?

From an engineering perspective, I would not fire that one. If the receiver already had a barrel I would have thought that it was done by an idiot to get the barrel to break free but only an idiot would destroy both the receiver and the barrel to do that.

Your “apprentice” forgot to move their hand out of the picture. :hugs:

I also think this is why it was done. One can hope the ‘smith’ meant to weld the cut back up when done and forgot.

The rifle has had several hundred rounds through it like this. I am unconvinced it would fail just from firing, but any forces acting on the bbl/receiver junction could easily open up that slot IMO.

DO NOT SHOOT THAT!
Catastrophic failure can take place, separation of the receiver from the barrel, ejecting the barrel forward. Receiver is scrap… replace it with a new one…
The cost of welding, machining, then heat treating is just not worth the expense or the fact that it is still not a sound receiver.
I would replace it, then band saw that in half. You can get “away” with welding the back end of a receiver, but not the locking lugs / connection.

That’s insane. Not only was he breaking so many laws, but his work was so awful…

There’s a reason why the reputation of a gunsmith is so important.

Rogue,

I disagree, I think it could bee easily repaired. But it is not my rifle.

Brian,

Can you expand on this? What laws were broken?

Well, you have the right to disagree. But I would not fire the rifle in the current condition.
Not while holding it at least.
But what the hell do I know. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The crap gunsmith created a baffle system that the ATF would consider to be a suppressor - and it wasn’t a registered NFA item. The gunsmith broke the law and risked his customer going to jail.

I think he’s referring to the OP about the “muzzle device.” Not the rifle with the hacked up receiver.

Yep… :+1::+1::+1::+1: