Gas prices in 1939

USPS newspaper ad from 1900

A poster from 1891 which states that women need to ‘get plump’ with

Professor Williams’ ‘Fat-Ten-U’ Foods.

Men protesting prohibition, 1925

In 1918, you could buy a home from a Sears catalog for under $1300

A man promoting himself during The Great Depression, 1930s

1958 Plymouth model and price chart

In 1898, Bayer begins mass production of heroin as a remedy for coughs and colds.

Unknown man during the Great Depression. (1932)

No Beatle Haircuts (1965)

Instructions on How to Open a New Book.

Jewish people protesting in Ellis Island against their deportation back to Germany. (1936)

Marriage Broker advertisement, 1889

Mister Merry’s play lighter toy with bubble gum cigarettes from the 1960s

The cost of living in 1938

Vintage Swanson ad featuring a variety of frozen dinners you can eat while watching TV.

Harley Davidson Mobile Booking Cage, 1920

McDonalds advertisement from 1961

They didn’t mince words on this anti-smoking sign in Illinois from 1915!

Sale on men’s suits in 1920

Just Divorced in 1934

Lucy and Desi in a Philip Morris cigarette ad, 1952

How babies traveled on airplanes in the 1960s

Inventor C.H. Gaunt wears a gas mask and tests his patented gas-proof pet shelter on a small dog in 1940

“Crash Diet” for women published by Vogue in 1977

Doctors use an x-ray machine to aid in inserting a catheter into the large blood vessel of the patient’s heart, 1947

Posing in front of Mark Twain the 1,341 years old, 331 ft tall giant Sequoia, California, 1892

The first drive-in theater in the state of California opened in Los Angeles, 1935

General Electric television ad from 1951

This 1904 Car was a Joint Venture Between Charles Rolls and Henry Royce

The Steam-Powered Stanley “Steamer”

16 Likes

I’d call the good ole days when I could go to a coffee house or restaurant

14 Likes

Lowest I can recall paying for gasoline was $0.349.

But they did check your oil and pump it for you.

I also remember carburetors that needed to be adjusted for altitude, cars that overheated on trying to climb 2,000 ft or any days over 90 degrees, and changing/timing the ignition points every 6,000 miles.

Sucked.

11 Likes

eh, IDK, I favor the ability to do all that yourself

10 Likes

It was nice to be able to change a water pump in 30 minutes. or a fuel pump in that amount of time too.

11 Likes

I changed a water pump on the side of the freeway one time. try doing that with one of these new ones. ain’t happening.

10 Likes

A new car would have a sensor to alert you a sensor was bad and trigger another sensor to disable your car so you don’t damage any sensors

10 Likes

My Impala did that to me. The computer calls it “Reduced Engine Power” mode. It happens when a major sensor fails…like my TPS sensor recently. The car wouldn’t go faster than 30 MPH. Luckily I wasn’t on the freeway.

9 Likes

My truck will go into that mode when the def gets low. it’s like they put that crap on there so you have to keep that def in the tank.

9 Likes

My ole man checked out when I was 15. I went to work in a gas station.
Gas was 26 cents for regular, and 31 cents for super. There were no unleaded.

Those were the best days of my life, it has been going down hill for the last few decades.

6 Likes

Remember the smell when it was leaded?

8 Likes

I don’t remember the specific smell of leaded gasoline, but I do remember the exhaust smell from carbureted vehicles. Modern car exhaust has virtually no odor.

7 Likes

Gas used to smell much better when it had lead in it

10 Likes

This unleaded gas run through the converter stinks to me, especially when one passes you and they are getting in the pedal hard or behind one going up a steep hill.

7 Likes

Kinda backward on adding HP and speed on new models, years ago you had to add goodies to make em run better, now you need to take crap off of them to make em run.

5 Likes

It stored better as well.

7 Likes

I concur. It does smell worse nowadays. :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

It explains an awful lot about you 2! But y’all need to quit huffing gas & exausts!

6 Likes

You sound like my stepdad, he is not a fan of all the efi stuff. He owned a few shops in his younger days and got out of the business over the tech change. I see it both ways but the newer stuff makes sense for car manufacturers since its cheaper to pump them out. Newer cars are MOSTLY plastic and disposable.

7 Likes

There’s nothing to take off new passenger car engines that will make them faster. It’s false ‘common knowledge’ that emissions equipment robs power. Power dropped in the 70’s not because of catalytic converters or EGR’s, but because of unleaded fuel dictating lower compression ratios(yes cats were part of the reason for a move to unleaded, but in and of themselves were NOT the power robber) and later the gas crunch. Switching to hydraulic cams, eliminating the need to constantly perform valve adjustments and providing more vacuum for little things like power brakes, also pulled some hp out of those ‘legendary’ 60’s engines. The biggest hit was switching from SAE Gross to SAE Net measurements. The 426 Hemi went from 425hp in '69 to 350hp(an 18% loss) in '71 with ZERO changes to the engine itself or addition of emissions equipment.

TECH is what got us the 120hp/liter Honda S2000 with 11:1 compression. It got us 707hp Dodge Hellcats/808hp Demons and a 1000HP Shelby Mustang for 2020. The 2015-2017 V-F*%#ing-6 Mustang runs the 1/4 mile, off the showroom floor, only 0.3 seconds slower(13.4 vs 13.1) than the big bad 427 ZL1 powered Corvette did.

Those newer cars also get better MPG, longer engine life, extended service intervals and HIGHER reliability.

Addendum: I’m not addressing reliability issues with DEF on current diesels, only HP output and what is needed to increase it on passenger cars past vs present. Before anyone spouts anecdotes about pulling the cats on their late 70’s-early 80’s cars, any difference felt was likely because it was clogged due to mileage/shit gas/poor maintenance or a placebo effect. However, IF you swapped/built the engine and the cats restricted power it was not the fault of the cat. The factory cat was designed to flow enough for the low output engine originally in the car. Leaving the factory cat in place is NO DIFFERENT than expecting the factory 1-7/8 single exhaust or 7.5" rear diff to serve behind your freshly installed blown big block. The internet abounds with magazine articles where street cars were tested, both without and with high flow cats, demonstrating no meaningful loss in HP.

5 Likes