The Magnificent and the Elusive

History tells us that in that moment of time between introduction and standardization, the new cavalry caliber went from a kinetic powerhouse that felled Buffalo, to a strong, but decidedly more calm offering that would be returned to again and again due it’s uncanny ability to stop the most determined assailants. The cartridge in question? None other than the .45 Colt.
Today, the .45 Colt occupies a somewhat odd niche in the handgunning world. Stock, it is really too much cartridge for SASS, where light bullets and tiny powder charges are the recipe for success, whilst when loaded to modern potential, it’s too much cartridge for the majority of guns it is chambered in.
The happy medium for the .45 Colt lies in the more traditional loading, where one finds velocities in the 900 fps range, and bullet weights under 300 grains.
Unfortunately, very few factories so load the venerable 45, making such performance a handloading only proposition.
In conclusion, I have noted over the years that the rank and file often confuse the 45 ACP with the older 45 Colt. The two are completely different cartridges, with completely different specifications. While it is true that many believe the highest calling for the 45 ACP/ 45 Auto is in a revolver, we already have a cartridge for that. It’s called the Auto Rim.

11 Likes

I would never buy a revolver in 45ACP, i did own a 9mm smith revolver years ago. I had a 45 colt years ago too. nice gun. 41 mag is still my fav.

9 Likes

In do have a 45acp cylinder for my 45Colt Blackhawk. Don’t use it much at all but it does work.

7 Likes

Most pistol cartridges that start with a 4 are GTG in my book. Not really a stick in mud kind of guy, but ACP is for Autos and Rimmed is for Revolvers, just the way I look at it. Moon clips don’t get it for me. Like speed loaders though. The only Revolver we still have is the 357 SP101. The next one will be 44 Mag.

8 Likes

My S&W Governor can use both 45 Colt and 45 ACP (with moon clips). I have other things designed for ACP. I see no reason to add steps to loading a revolver.

8 Likes

But, any pistol that can shoot 3 different rounds is useful…

8 Likes

These work well.
https://www.ezmoonclip.com/

7 Likes

Were the heck you been? ain’t seen you in a month of Sundays,you out on probation?

7 Likes

Have the same, old 3 screw 4-5/8" BH
Use the ACP cylinder for burning up loads that don’t work in my auto.

@MAK Where did the term “Long Colt” come from?

7 Likes

There have been people over the years who claimed that the term Long Colt was an official factory moniker. Yes, it was IF we are discussing the various iterations of the 38 cal. However, in regards to the 45, no official designation ever existed, other than 45 Colt.
With such settled we can trace back one likely source for the long colt label…
The army adopted a compact 45 cal round for a short time, intended for the S&W break top, often referred to as the Schofield although the army didn’t refer to it in this fashion. Ballistics wise, the smaller round was very similar to the later 45 ACP, but that’s a different story.
The army thus suddenly had two 45 cal cartridges, and having discovered that while the Colt wouldn’t fit in the break top, the more compact round worked quite well in the SAA. The result was the army called the smaller round the 45 Revolver, as it was suitable for both guns.
Now, anyone even passing familiar with “military intelligence” knows nothing in the army stays simple, or clear, or logical for very long. So, of course, the bigger Colt cartridge also became known as the 45 Revolver, thus ensuring that all kind of confusion was de rigueur.
It was from this time period, the 1880s, that a single collector claimed to posess a cartridge box printed with the 45 Long Colt moniker. Assuming it was genuine, which is far from certain, one might surmise this was an attempt to divorce the Colt round from the unfortunate military dilemma.
What is certain is that some people in the firearms world found the term useful, up into modern times, and didn’t particularly care whether it was correct or not. In any case, I’ve never seen or heard of a 45 SHORT Colt, nor discovered anyone producing one, to the best of my memory, the closest example being the aforementioned break top ammunition. Thus, the only valid reason why anyone even semi-officially would use the term was for differentiation.
There are other theories concerning the origin of the long colt moniker, that it was the factory name ( it wasn’t), or that it came from Union Metallic Cartridge ( no proof of this exists), to it just sounds neat ( not to those who know history).
Unless or until some compelling new information comes to light, the probability that long colt was informally adopted to set things straight is the best we have to go on.

9 Likes

I have been busy dealing with work and all the nonsense…Figured you and Joe-Bob had been having fun in the Van…

5 Likes

Perhaps one of the best examples of incoherence to date.

7 Likes

Sorry, hit the wrong button.
45 Colt handloading notes:
Handloading properly requires load development to work within specific pressure thresholds, however the use of copper crusher and piezo-electric methods indiscriminately leaves the issue confused and incoherent.
Basically, the .45 Colt follows three different tiers of pressure
12,000-14,000 psi the general baseline for standard smokeless loads.
20,000-22,000 psi the ceiling for topmost +P loads.
30,000-35,000 psi topmost pressure suitable only for the strongest loads.
Because the 45 Colt is now almost entirely a handloading only proposition, it is essential to be aware of the strength of one’s gun, and where it fits in accordance to these pressure thresholds.

6 Likes

Sorry, hit the wrong button.
45 Colt handloading notes:
Handloading properly requires load development to work within specific pressure thresholds, however the use of copper crusher and piezo-electric methods indiscriminately leaves the issue confused and incoherent.
Basically, the .45 Colt follows three different tiers of pressure
12,000-14,000 psi the general baseline for standard smokeless loads.
20,000-22,000 psi the ceiling for topmost +P loads.
30,000-35,000 psi topmost pressure suitable only for the strongest loads.
Because the 45 Colt is now almost entirely a handloading only proposition, it is essential to be aware of the strength of one’s gun, and where it fits in accordance to these pressure thresholds.

7 Likes

I have a 45 ACP cylinder for my Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt SAA. No moon clips required.

7 Likes

Being able to shoot 45 ACP with a 2nd cylinder almost makes me think of a 45 instead of a 44 mag. Almost…

8 Likes

Maybe he should have quoted @Belt-Fed so we had some baseline to judge the incoherence.

5 Likes

DSCF2674
DSCF2676
DSCF2673

7 Likes

:frowning_face:

5 Likes

Guys, I had a post in mind, but the entire thing got sent to the e shredder. I tried to fix it, and the result was a double post.
I should have just deleted the whole thing.
Anyhow, the point was supposed to be that there are three basic levels or thresholds to load the 45 Colt.
I had originally related these thresholds to guns of the requisite strength, but then I got side tracked by life.
Apologies for any incoherence on my part. When I get the time, I hope to complete the goal I set out for. Thanx for your patience.

8 Likes