The Moon

Kiddo has been getting into astronomy lately. Really digs space. The whole “final frontier” thing. Last night she asked if we could go take some pics. We found a dead in road on the edge of town but there was still too much light pollution for any good star pics.

We did get a pretty cool one of the moon though. (After some creative photo editing)

6 Likes

I did go out to see the eclipse, must have timed it perfect as I did not see it :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

That was on Monday night/Tuesday morning. We planned to go out for it but the kid fell asleep and I decided it was too freakin’ cold to be out there by myself.

That’s why we went last night to make up for it.

6 Likes

Willie did she notice the conjunction of Jupiter and the moon a few nights ago? They were pretty close in the sky. I’d been watching Jupiter for quite awhile and realized what was going to happen. If she has binoculars once finding Jupiter she can see some of the larger moons if they’re positioned correctly in their orbits.

If she goes out at 8ish looks to the south and up at maybe 60° it’ll be the bright object that doesn’t twinkle. Can’t miss it.

6 Likes

LMAO

4 Likes

Yep, me too. It has been very bright. 2022 thing, last time this close it was 2010 I think…

6 Likes

Feeding her interest… There are lots of interests that are much worse!

Lots of things, nebula and such*, can be “had” with a camera IF the shutter has a bulb (ie: long exposure) setting and a way to attach it to a tripod. You also need a dark sky site. To make a hinge type manual tracker is pretty easy. Just do a 'net search for “barn door star tracker”.

*Sure there are nebula that are relatively small and dim and require a light bucket to see them. But the next time a comet comes by the barn door tracker (and proper camera) can take it’s picture. The North America nebula is large and naked eye if you put yourselves in a dark sky site. Andromeda should also be an easy photo.

It’s probably long out of print but the book Equinox was a good book for a beginner decades ago. I’ll be! It’s in print!

It concentrates on teaching the night sky by naked eye and binoculars, simple gear. I’d send you my copy, but I loaned it out almost 30+ years ago and it hasn’t been returned yet. I don’t think I’ll ever see it again.

5 Likes

Yeah. She has a couple of apps on her phone that tell her where everything is in the sky at a particular moment. She has one that uses her compass and/or GPS so all she has to do is aim the phone at whatever she’s looking at and a map of that part of the sky pops up.

We’re looking for a few astronomy books to get her for Christmas. @BrianK that looks like it could make the list.

4 Likes