The new raving trend

That looks pretty clean indeed.

And maybe you can answer this question. How do you mimic the original condition/look of the surface of the polymer after sanding?

And what do you use to cut those borders with?

4 Likes

Borders were cut by laser. I have a lot of very specialized standing equipment… while I do gun smithing full time now, I used to be a master timber framer. We did some crazy stuff that just goes hand in hand with gun smithing.

8 Likes

Good shit

2 Likes

The half hammer beam is in our shop.

1 Like

Impressive. For sure!!!

What about the areas of the frame you sanded. How did you restore the surface quality, or was this glock coated?

3 Likes

We are advanced certified Cerakote applicators. So after 100% prepping the frame for laser work, we send it off. It comes back, we stipple, prep for Cerakote then spray after fitting and test fire.

5 Likes

Thanks.

I actually have a slightly different idea that has been bugging me. And I want to see if there is a way to mimic the condition and surface quality of the original frame after I sand down some areas. Basically what would be the best way to finish without having to coat or stipple over those areas. I would want them to look factory original (or as close to it as possible).

I have been thinking of trying to sand blast the areas (light PSI) and then use heat or wax to bring the color back, but I haven’t seen the effects of sandblasting polymer.

2 Likes

I have seen some stipples use a heat gun after the stippling is done to fine tune there work as well as smooth out the look
Some even use a torch

1 Like

This is the technique I was speaking of
What you were inquiring about is towards the end

3 Likes

Thank you. Interesting process.
Definitely something to consider.

1 Like

When you were posing your question I thought about this one
I always thought this guy has some skill

1 Like

Yes, he is doing a great job.

I actually don’t want to do any stippling. But I will be sanding, and that is why I am looking for methods to return the sanded surface of the frame back to what it looked like before.

It appears that the molds Glock uses are blasted which produces that grainy texture on the outside of the frame. I am thinking that maybe I can blast the sanded areas and then maybe heat the area to just before the surface starts to gloss over.

Was just wondering if anyone tried that or had other ideas on how to simulate that grainy outer surface of the cast Glock frame after sanding an area.

2 Likes

Sig and Beretta sell cheap grip modules(for the p320 and apx) if someone wants to practice without trashing a Glock.

3 Likes

That is what I will probably use, as well as some ar pistol grips

3 Likes

Igor I have a brand new 320 frame if you want it
I’ll ship it to you on your dime if you wish.

3 Likes

I may just take you up on that. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s basically what we do… but if someone wants that super defined edge, like on the Glock rock stack we did, then we use a laser.
We have a Festool sander that has a vacuum system that we use to sand and polish. We have up to special 2000 grit disks we use.

1 Like

Nice

1 Like