The official Mosin thread

So lets talk all things Mosin Nagant in here. Ask your questions, post your rifles and make people jealous telling them what you just bought.

I need to take some good high quality shots of mine so stay tuned.

Closed. Go to another thread

I’ll start.

What information is there for how many 91/30 PU snipers were made and from what factory? And of those any information on how many may have been “converted” to infantry use?

I’d love to figure out more about my converted 1943 Izzy PU.

No idea on the number stamped for snipers. They were pulled from regular production and stamped if they turned in a great test group. It wasn’t a special production.

I have a M91/30 that does great without the stamp. I managed four in 1" and the fifth opened it to 1-3/4" at 100 yards with the iron sights (I REALLY like the sights on the M91/30 . . . once I laid the barrel on a lead brick and used a 3# hammer and drift punch with a lot of Nautical Language to “adjust” them) using old Czech corrosive ammo.

Just because I took my Finnish reworked M39 (Sako barrel refit) whitetail hunting and it two days I had two deer. Both under 15 yards when I sat ion the same stump so hardly a test, but that rifle has a bore like the lunar surface but still puts them in 1" at 50 yards with the original battle sights.

IMHO there’s never been an issue rifle more ready to go deer hunting than the M39

He was a total badass.

Wish i had some more pics after i cleaned it up. Restained and finished it.

What year and factory?

Its a 43 i believe. Not sure of the factory. Its been put up a while. Ill check it again when i get off the road.

Cool beans. Both of ours are 1943 Izzy’s.

Im pretty sure thats mine too.

i do know im going to slug the barrel eventually and get a proper bore size on it

Is yours all shot out? Counterbored?

No.

My 1933 HEX receiver Tula I got a few years back for $100. The old lacquer finish was pretty rough but the wood underneath was fine so I put it back as a blonde. It has a mint bore and shoots pretty good with my 215 gr. home cast FN bullets from my Accurate mold.

That’s awesome!

I prefer iron sights but hardly shoot more than 200ish yards. Irons makes it more challenging.

A few years ago I picked up an interesting Mosin.

It’s a Tula that’s stamped with the Cyrillic CH designating it as a sniper, but without any scope mount holes drilled, stock modifications, turned down bolt, or scope number stamped on the side.
The trigger is the best I’ve ever felt on a Mosin.
From what I can determine, this rifle was inspected and selected as a sniper, but the war ended, and it was dipped in cosmoline and crated until it fell into my hands.

I actually bought a number of ex-snipers a while back. Mostly Izhevsk and most were pretty much shot out. I sold all of them off except for this one…too unique to let go.

That’s awesome brother. I love hearing oddball stories like this.

My former PU Izzy is in pretty good shape. Wasn’t shot out. Don’t remember if it has the CH though, just the filled in scope mount holes and what was the scope serial number on the receiver.

Nope, no CH. but does have the holes and scope serial. How odd. Is that a Tula factory only thing?

Tula Arsenal stamped their receivers with the CH to indicate that it was a designated sniper rifle.

Ishevsk Arsenal stamped theirs with a number on the left side of the receiver…usually right at or slightly below the side of the stock. You can actually see the number in the pic you posted. (Maybe 484625? Hard to read at that angle).
This number was also engraved into the scope that was matched to the rifle. (Scope serial # as you stated).

Any records kept on these rifles is probably long gone, especially after the dissolution of the former Soviet Union. I do know that most Mosin Snipers got decommissioned and then went through arsenal refurbishment and then into storage after WWII. Some early ones were actually put back into use with front line troops once their accuracy dropped and after they were refurbed.

As for interesting Russian sniper history, don’t forget that women were some of the top Russian snipers of WWII. Check out the history of Lyudmila Pavlichenko with 309 confirmed kills.