The proper way to shoot a C&B revolver

It seems only 2 you tubers know the taught way of firing a cap & ball revolver. There are all kinds of fixes for what was not a problem.

The way the manual form 1866 says:

You fire the round, then rotate the firearm from level to 90 degrees straight upwards. Then cock it, the cap may fall out, then level it and fire again. Clink Eastwood did this in Outlaw Josie Wales. We all laughed in the 70s.
Well come to find out he was right. Instead they profess modern fixes so you can shoot level.

I did go the way of Slix Shot cones, just because they are better than stock. Still waiting on them so we can go shoot over the holiday next week.

How come folks 160 years ago had no problem shooting hap hazardly, yet stayed alive.
Every then used all 6 cylinders, for both C&B and SAA.
They are both designed to shoot 6 shoots. I load six, and have never had one go off. I also use the half notch on the C&B and the 1/4 cock on SAAs.

I guess I prefer to do it the way it was meant to be done, instead of the modern lawyered up way.

What say ewe?

5 Likes

I’d load 'em up. Don’t have any myself, but I’ll stick my chin out. It ain’t like they are a Sig.

6 Likes

Be a light primer strike if it was a sig.

5 Likes

I put powder, then felt wad, then ball and no grease. i hate grease on a revolver. Never use remington caps, they suck. just don’t use remington on anything. i use the german caps and the right size nipple and they won’t fall off. some nipples are smaller. The i shoot sideways, gangsta style.

6 Likes

Or just go off whenever :person_shrugging: :crazy_face: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yep :yep:

5 Likes

I load the same way, only use CCI #10s they fit the Pietta cones (nipples) and the new Slix Shot cones that will be here on Monday.
I use CCI because thats all I could find. I owned this piece for almost a year before I found any caps.

5 Likes

Hmmm, I was just contemplating buying BP again and this post comes up :thinking:

5 Likes

You should, might be the only gun the demonrats don’t ban. but then the asshats would ban powder.

5 Likes

I would be good for awhile . Found twenty pounds when I cleaned out Dads stuff.

5 Likes

I got 15 or 16 pounds of it. bought a bunch of it before covid hit. crap wasn’t cheap either. i remember when it was 5 to 7 bucks a pound not that long ago. used to give about 3 bucks for it when i started out.

6 Likes

I had tried when I was younger, didn’t have the patience for it, but these days :grampa:

it seems worth another look

5 Likes

777 substitute has way better FPS than holy black, by several 100fps.
Bought tons of it when the cans were $5.99 a can.

Recently I bought a can of 777 from cabalas $40 Just for this rotary wonder.

5 Likes

The jest of this thread was to see if anyone would dare use a cap and ball in the proper way it was designed or does everyone fall into the lawyered up way of doing this.

I put up with this misuse of history all the time. Oil and black powder do not mix, if you cant get the ball down the hole, then you have a club.

Yet people say to use oil products, and no one seems to listen, that its not what you use.
After all, you use oil in modern firearms. So you need to take off your 21st century knowledge hat, and put on a fur cap and do things the way they were meant to be used.

3 Likes