The Purist vs. The Adequate

Found that out myself with a cheap one

4 Likes

https://www.stealtharms.net/store/1911-series-kits

4 Likes

$1,090 for a kit ? way too much for me to consider since some good pistols are quite a bit less.

4 Likes

Cost more then a economy 1911, way less then a Nighthawk or Evolution.
I think the kit was around a grand, but from what I could tell very good quality millwork, hate to say it but things you don’t see, like the inside of the slide, was cut with better tooling then my E-Series Smith.
Also kit seemed perfect for a first time builder. Everything and I mean everything included including a hard case.

5 Likes

On the flip, my lowest price build was a Sarco A1 build kit, advanced tactical 129.00 frame, way under 500. Only upgrade was a Wilson sear spring, just couldn’t use the bent up piece of guano sarco included.

5 Likes

The $400.00 A1

6 Likes

400 all in?

4 Likes

If I remember I was under 400 even with the wilson spring.
That was a year ago, parts have gone up since then…

6 Likes

Wow, I am impressed. That’s much more doable for a 1st timer. How does yours run?

5 Likes

Like a champ. Put a buffer in it because seemed like the slide was overtraveling, other then that and replaced the shiny slide stop with a parkerized all I’ve done is shoot it.
Only shot 230 ball so far so don’t know if it feeds other ammo.
Sarco build kit looks like it went up in price, but 80% frames still in the low one hundreds on gb last time I checked.

6 Likes

Good to know about these. This has really given me something to think about. Thank you!

6 Likes

I’ve never, ever, seen a sixgun kit. I personally think that a really fine kit would be something along the lines of the Virginian Dragoon, or the Seville. I for one would love to build my own 44 Magnum.

6 Likes

Happened to be browsing some sites, no 80% 1911 frames on gun broken.
Sarco A1 build kit up to $279, advanced tactical cs frame $133.00. Throw a Wilson sear spring in and you are at $424. + tax/shipping
Both showing waiting list out of stock.
Then you need some tools…

6 Likes

Be a good indoor winter project…

6 Likes