The Science behind Cerakote

I have a couple sixguns done by Hamilton Bowen, your point exactly one of his procedures is to turn the barrel in until the warning label is pointing down, then face the forcing cone to about a 1-1/2 thou gap. Think he faces the front of the cylinder first. Of course you have to know a master welder, master machinist and a master finisher. Probably have a master grip smith on speed dial. Burn through a couple grand really fast in that crowd!

9 Likes

FYI until the emails are fixed here no one gets alerted to the @ 's, unless they log in, so there may be a delay

9 Likes

Yeah, I can easily see what you are saying.

7 Likes

Sorry, i have been buys moving my shop to a new location

On a revolver, i do mot remove the barrel unless there was a rust issue. Then the threads are coated, i reassemble, media blast again, then coat. That way zero scratches on the barrel. Same with bolt guns.
As for cylinder gap. Cerakote should be sprayed at .001 to .0015
Glacier Series is .00075 to .001
So gap is usually not an issue. All depends on what you are doing of course.

9 Likes

Oh yes
 zero emails coming in like they used to

7 Likes

Glad yer back. Was wondering what you were doing,

@Robert, My emails started coming in btw,

7 Likes

Thanks. I did remove barrel, doing some laser work on it, then as you say, did the threads and mating surface, threads and mating surface of frame with MicroSlick. Reassembled and hit timing marks dead on. Soaked, reblasted. Soaked and brushed and soaked again, a little of the gorilla tape goo was down in the engraving. Final blast. Got it racked up and ready for coating.
On a side note, have a bunch of little pins and screws want to microsllick, can it be flash cured, reposition the clips, and re-sprayed to get full coverage?

8 Likes

E series Blackout is my new favorite black.

9 Likes

Did all the screws and pins with Microslick bigger chunks with Blackout

9 Likes

E series Storm on the cylinder

Couldn’t get all the dings to hide, but I can live with it.

9 Likes

Titanium on the grip frame and ejector housind, Graphite black on the front sight.

9 Likes

And some 18 YO rum while the last batch is in the oven

Id show a photo but I put ice in it, don’t wanna start any conflicts

9 Likes

Out of the oven.

9 Likes

That’s looking sharp Al. :+1:

10 Likes

Before

10 Likes

You’re drinking rum, conflicts are low on your list of concerns :yep:

9 Likes

Not sure what I want to do for grips. Thinking really dark walnut or black micarta

9 Likes

Got me there. Brought back some good stuff from MĂ©xico, waiting for the bro to come over and give me a cussing about the ice.

9 Likes

That E-series blackout is flat out amazing looking :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Lol, I like anything I drink with ice in it even my coffee.

My buddy ask me why in the heck do you put ice in your coffee.
I said well, I dont like scalding my tongue and I’m a coffee drinker not a sipper.

7 Likes