The "went to the range" topic

Awesome!

9 Likes

So, I went to the range today.
It’s been a few years since I’ve had the 22-250 out.

Out of the box Remington 700 Varmint that I acquired in 1982. Has a 1970s Lyman All American 20x.

About a 3/8" 5 shot group @ 100 yards. Not benchrest accuracy but I was really happy it still shoots pretty good.
50 grain Sierra Spitzers on top of IMR 3031

13 Likes

And, while I was at the range, I wanted to see what I could do with the CZ P10C.

It might look pretty crappy but, this is at 50 yards, offhand. Next time I go out I’m going to give it another try. Hopefully improve a little.

13 Likes

That doesn’t look crappy at all from 50 yards and that 22-250 looks like a real coyote killer.

12 Likes

@58marine, Damn fine Marksmanship with both the pistol and the rifle👍

12 Likes

Lots of Ground hogs and Prarie dogs, a couple dozen Whitetails, 3 foxes but just 1 coyote and that one was rabid, acted pretty strange. I’ve tried to go after coyotes, several times but, didn’t have much luck. They seem to be smarter than me.

14 Likes

Dang, that’s almost “Deadshot” accurate!

10 Likes

Wow, that’s some major good shootin. you might be a sniper.

11 Likes

Nice looking group

9 Likes

I got some free almost-private training the past couple days. I joined with some other gun guys from the synagogues in our city to talk security, and they had flown in a trainer for everybody who could make it to the range. There were a handful of businesses that wanted to support us and chipped in.

First day was basics and holster work at 6 yards. I got coached on my 5-point draw, practiced speed reloads, and worked on stepping forward into the threat instead of stepping back into the unknown during my draw. I had an issue with not bringing my gun to retention during my draw, and with reloading too far away from my body. Both of those got fixed quick.

Also, I got to shoot with pistol red dots for the first time. I liked it. Getting the grip angle right was different, but nothing a little more training can’t fix.

Shot a .45 1911 for the first time, too. I found it quite thumpy: I need to learn to use the rear thumb ledge better and other tricks to control it better.

Second day, I got to shoot steel for the first time. There was a nice variety, a Texas star, a dueling tree, random plates, and a multi-row resettable rack. I started off strong, especially from cold, but halfway through, I got tired and my follow-through mindset suffered as I began anticipating and missing shots. I need more endurance and to practice follow-through to unconscious competence. After my 9mm ammo ran out, I switched to my .22lr adapter slide on my G19 and practiced shooting while moving, ringing steel with that.

In the middle, there was a slightly frightening incident where my grip slipped during the draw and I slapped my gun to my belly with my flat support hand to keep it from falling. Must remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take my time.

13 Likes

That sounds like it was an awesome experience!

9 Likes

That’s awesome. How you like the Texas star? I love them

8 Likes

I only shot a Texas Star once but it was cool!

7 Likes

I had fun with it. That was my first time shooting a moving target. I was advised to not try to track the targets, but to wait for them to ease into my sights. I managed to get all of them within one mag on my first try, I think I just had two misses.

8 Likes

well just back from a quick morning shoot

shooting my “new” S&W 586

may have to shift my windage a bit, but than again was able to hit the 4" round plate at 50metres more than 50%

Wife first shooting my new revolver and a 357
https://www.full30.com/v/handmade-duty-7z799

11 Likes

Nice revolver. For whatever reason I was getting an error message when I’d click on the video link, but I eventually found the video and got to see it. Looks like she was hitting the target pretty good with that revolver.

8 Likes

You gotta love a good range day.

8 Likes

I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to go to the range. I went Sunday with my 15 ry old daughter. We killed a lot of paper and had a lot of fun. Almost no one else there. After we shot the pistols all we wanted we went over to the rifle side. I wanted to try my new to me 30 carbine to decide if I wanted to keep that one and sell the old one or sell the new one. I set up at 50 yds and fired. Not on the paper. I tried again with the same results. So I walked out to about 25 yds to try again. I fired and saw the brass go out into the grass so I went to gather it. I saw something else on the ground so I picked it up. It was my front sight. It is a Lyman ramp site and it just fell off. I’ll get that repaired and go try again. I’m not disappointed. It was a fun day with my daughter. I might even try it again!

10 Likes

Well we are laid off this week due to the chip shortage. Went out back to one of our ponds. More snappers are dead. Got 5 more big ones at least 12" across. My Grendel pistol does a great job.

9 Likes

I hope you are making a lot of cowan stew to freeze!!!

5 Likes