The "went to the range" topic

I have been able to recover a few for soup. But they usually sink and im not going out in a pond full of snapping turtles.

6 Likes

Can’t be any worse than the current state of America. We have a capital full of wolves and snakes.

7 Likes

I went recently for an ammo-constrained pistol training session. I was introduced to the Failure to Stop drill, and then reviewed sidestepping, shooting from retention, and controlled pairs and triples.

I’m thinking of getting a non-electronic Trijicon RM04 sight, so that I can carry it on Shabbos. I’m doing fine with tritium iron sights, but I think I could extend my effective range and be faster if I got some glass on on my Glock 17.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/rm04

9 Likes

Red dots tend to slow people down at first. You end up chasing the dot. You have to get a very good draw to align the sight on presentation.

8 Likes

I’m glad some are getting eaten.

5 Likes

yeah. i hate wasting meat. I cannot be around them when they are cleaned.
Something about the shell coming apart is just too grody for my tender sensibilities.

5 Likes

The ones I don’t get out are just feeding the other turtles.

5 Likes

Range day… here’s one from maybe 20 years ago. And as unbelievable as it’s going to sound It’s absolutely true.

A bit of background… this range would rent the handgun range to LE agencies periodically. But the day in question wasn’t one of those days.

A buddy and I had off on a weekday so we went to the members only range we belonged to. He was shooting an AK47 and I was shooting a .375/06 JDJ Encore, fireforming neck expanded .30/06 into the wildcat brass. But I wasn’t just making noise. I had set up a mess of water filled gallon jugs up and was having fun turning them into mist. Up drove a state trooper, parked, got out and put his tactical gear on. We’re still shooting. He walks 15 yards in front of the firing line and commences to unload his handgun. I’m hollering “CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!” to absolutely no effect. After emptying his magazine he turns around gets back in the car and drives off. I was dumbfounded. What a dumb POS! Maybe he thought his “bulletproof vest” would be proof against an errant bullet from an AK or hand cannon.

I called the Pres’ of the club and he suggested to me that next time to lock the gate behind me. I always left it unlocked just in case we needed med’ personnel. Near as we could figure he thought it was OK because they periodically rented the range. But still, what a dumb shit!

7 Likes

I find a general rule LEO’s don’t know much about firearms i guys that rule extends to firearm safety and etiquette.

6 Likes

Certainly true for that guy. Most that I have known, at least knew not to do that. A great many, including the women (maybe especially) were pretty handy.

4 Likes

@MusashiAharon

Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun and beneficial, too !

Thank you very much for sharing - especially with so much detail.

6 Likes

I took another relative with me for his first time shooting. I started him off with a Glock 19 using my 22lr adapter, and then with 9mm. He got pretty tired pretty quickly holding it up. Must come from spending lots more time than me with the holy books.

Then I let him shoot my pistol and carbine ARs with a CMMG 22lr adapter BCG. That didn’t go so smoothly. Every other round we had a failure to feed. I later discovered during cleaning that the adapter’s feed ramp was rough, so I dremeled that down. Maybe that will work better next time. Not much difference in sound using a suppressor or without; we didn’t have any subsonic ammo that day.

However, when we used 5.56 there was a noticeable difference. This time I used a 5.56 end cap on my Sandman S instead of the stock 30-cal. With the closer-fitting cap on, I no longer felt the sonic thump in my chest the way I did without the suppressor. The loudness was more like a Glock. Unfortunately, even though I gave my relative double ear protection, his earplugs weren’t all the way in and the thick ear cups on the electronic ear protectors unsealed when he got his cheek weld. His ear rang for a while afterwards.

I was glad to see that he was noticing the difference in the flash and the sound with the suppressor, as well as the gas blown in his face. He noticed that the 11.5" AR was louder. He also noticed and used my vertical pistol grip on the carbine, especially after the handguard began to heat up. Now I think he understands better why we need these attachments, and how stupid gun laws that restrict these things are. He actually brought up the black market argument himself without me prompting him. Bravo!

9 Likes

More snapping turtles. At least we’ll get soup out of this one.

The 6.5grendel pistol does a good job on these critters.

5 Likes

I shot .22lr again with my 11.5" AR. I got about 50% success. Maybe it’s because the gas system is mid-length. It works very nice with 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed, but is too anemic to cycle the .22lr adapter bolt.

4 Likes

Which 22 adapter are you using? The ceiner kit runs best w/40gr hi-speed ammo. The 22 adapters I have used are all blowback. Gas system length should not have any bearing on function at all on a blowback system.

4 Likes

I’m using CMMG. But after I got a squib load and took out the adapter, I dropped it and dented the chamber insert, so I need to fix that first.

Maybe the problem was the cheeeeep ammo: Remington Golden Bullet. Is Federal better, you think?

5 Likes

Federal seems to work well for me. The Remington not so much. CCI minimags work well also.

6 Likes

After running Amend2 mags a handful of times, the plastic feed lips are beginning to wear down. They just won’t work in my friend’s gun anymore, although for now they still work in mine. Now I use them for training only.

I used some 33-round mags to help me acclimate to the noise of 9mm. I’m better able to follow the sights up and down now; I hope I don’t have to use so much ammo so often.

I’ve been drilling walking sideways and diagonally while shooting 7yds, and drawing my gun from concealment under my long hasidic coat. Working with a timer I’m managing 2.5 seconds, still need to get faster and more precise. At the church shooting in White Settlement, the murderer was able to kill two people in 2 seconds. I’m watching over the congregation so that I can get some early warning and hopefully start my draw before the bad guy’s first shot, but total draw speed matters, too. The Mantis X10 is telling me that most of my delay is from clearing my garment until getting the initial master grip, and from acquiring the target after the gun is horizontal. Especially when practicing the draw, I’m using the Advantage Arms 22lr adapter slide to save on ammo.

My shirt keeps getting untucked (I’m using an IWB Vedder holster), so I tried tying it to my thigh with some elastic cord. It’s pretty comfortable, but not as tight as I hoped. I think wider cord would pull the shirt more forcefully, so I don’t waste as much time resetting my clothes.

6 Likes

I’ve been finding that if I adjust Glock sights on my bench using calipers, measuring equal distance from the sides of the slide to the sides of the rear sight, I’m pretty much dead-on. That fixed my issue with the Advantage Arms 22lr slide too.

6 Likes

@MusashiAharon have you considered trying a shoulder rig?

5 Likes