The "went to the range" topic

Makes sense on the break in. Whats your twist 1:7?

I’ve heard folks have had good luck with the 3R Nitrided barrels adding velocity in the 224V. I’ll find out soon :grinning:

4 Likes

1/7.5 twist.
Pistol is 1/8
Getting 2365 out of the 12". Pistol

5 Likes

Finally got out to the range today and shot the steel targets .

I always like when she goes with me.

5 Likes

A side by side 9mm and a 32. It was a good range day.

9 Likes

There’s 3 of my favs.
Real nice pistols Jeff !!!

7 Likes
6 Likes

Gods clowns.
My old FD AO’s nightly comedy show.
Funny till one suffers 30+ years of it. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I finally got the Vortex Strike Eagle mounted on my Rem 700 in .308. The bore sight job wasn’t even on the paper at 100 yards so I moved the target back in to 50 yrds, got it zeroed there and then at 100 yrds. My goal is to zero at 300 yards but the range is only out to 230 for steal and 200 for paper.

Here’s my set up, Rem 700 BDL, 22" barell, Vortex Strike Eagle 5x25x56, 34 mm tube, 20 min angle mount and 20 min angle one piece rings. Ammo is 168 grn BTHP Match from Georgia Arms.

There was no wind to to worry about Saturday, nice and sunny but not too hot. At 200 yrds I expected it to about 5.75 inches low. It was only 1.75 inches low probably due the 20 min angle each on the mount and ring set up. It only took 2 Clickes up to hit the 1/2 inch diamond bullseye on the paper. I did have some shots that pulled to the right due to the shaky bench. Now to get a good recoil pad and find a range with more distance and is set up so I can shoot from prone.

My ultimate goal is to figure out the dopes for out to 1000 yards. The Ballistic charts are not calculated to the my set up.

Any one has any input on how to dope this?
I will post pics when I can get them on my puter.

6 Likes

Once you get it sighted in at a known distance the ballistic programs should give you the dope you want.
Hornady has a free one.
So does Nikon.
The mounts just give you more adjustment for bullet drop way out there.
You can put any distances in the programs.
Example. to be sighted in at 250 yds you need to be 1.75" high at 75yds

6 Likes

I was using Hornady’s ballistic chart. Being zeroed at 100 it should have been 4.5 inches low at 200 not 1.75 inches low. The scope ring height may be the difference, there is about 2.75 inches between the center of the bore to the center of the sight picture with the 40 min of angle

6 Likes

I use Strelok Pro. I have others but that’s the one I use. You true the datum once you get out there. Whichever APP you use the procedure is to shoot it out to distance and then true the APP. Read about it here. Always do this stuff early in the morning. BTW.

How I was taught was to shoot out to around 400-600 yards just keep adjusting the scope to be on target as you move farther out. Once out to your intermediate distance (most use 500) reshoot it over again get the Delta from the group (I use three shots) from the POI and the POA at each distance. Since velocity rules (if the estimated BC is close to actual) folks adjust velocity in the APP once they get out 500 to as closely as possible match the observed trajectory at each distance out to and including at 500 with what the APP is calculating.

Now they shoot out 1000 and change the far BC to match that Measured Datum using the “multiple ballistics co-efficent mode” in Strelok Pro. Paying the most attention from 700 to 1000. I paid 12 dollars for it very happy.

White Feather (Carlos Hathcock) believed the rifle should only be shot once a day (as in one time) at the same time very early every morning no matter what the conditions during the sighting process. I don’t do the one shot thing until the end when I am tweaking it. His point is valid. The cold bore shot is the one that matters, and dawn is when the air is usually the heaviest and the wind the calmest. I like that cold shot first thing in morning before coffee, caffeine gives you muscular micro tremors. You need to keep a detailed record of everything for future reference.

Good Luck and Have a Blast!

7 Likes

Most of the ballistic calculators don’t have barrel length options they are calculated with 24 inch barrels. If you know of one that has that option please post it for us.

I will be back at the range Friday and try the cold shot at 200. I have already figured out what the barrel does as it warms up due to expansion from the heat. After about 10 rounds timed close together the POI starts moving out 1.5 inches to 2:00 O’clock and starts moving counter clock wise about the same distance from POA as the barrel heats up. I need to find a range near me that has 1000 yrds to really dial it in and keep records for future use.

5 Likes

Read that article. Lots of goodness in it. The comments after are worth the read too.

6 Likes

Informative read, great info but I can’t download it to my flip phone.

6 Likes

Lol. I take a tablet to the range. I use it for the Streloc and the Chronograph.

5 Likes

Well, I got to the range last week end and at 200 yrds I shot a four round group of 1 1/2 inches from a cold barrel. The scope is set up for the bench and I had to adjust to shoot from the prone position. I will have to move the scope forward and re-zero it to from prone.

8 Likes

I bought a CVA 45/70 single shot, stainless cerakote version with muzzle break, got to get a scope for it, already have 100 rounds of ammo I bought when it was available prior to scare, been wanting a rifle so figured ammo would keep until I found rifle.

7 Likes

Just thinking about shooting a 45-70 my makes my shoulder hurt.

7 Likes

Won’t be bad with the brake, I have a Traditions G3 single shot in 35 Whelen with muzzle brake and recoil is not bad at all.

7 Likes

I tested out a bunch of things on my trip.

The Radian Raptor SD charging handle actually does reduce suppressor blowback. It made my DI AR much more pleasant.

My Magpul suppressor cover got knocked off from the recoil. Maybe I didn’t tighten it enough. Not strictly needed, now that I have a handstop to stop burning myself on the can, so I’m ditching the cover and its extra muzzle weight. Maybe a fabric cover would work better, if I’m concerned about thermal/IR signature. But I don’t even have night vision yet.

Magpul gloves give enough insulation to remove and reattach the suppressor after shooting it.

The PSA Dagger upper is really tight on my G19 lower. It fires, but keeps getting stuck, even after lubrication, and I have to keep forcing it back into battery manually. I’m glad I didn’t start carrying it before I tested it. Maybe after a few more trips, it will loosen up and work properly.

The Trijicon RMR Dual illumination 12.9 MOA amber triangle picks up quite nicely, even against the sand. I’m not bothered by how large the triangle is, since I aim using the tip. In fact, the large size helps me acquire it quickly.

8 Likes