The "went to the range" topic

I think I might have found the issue with the PSA Dagger upper. There was some wind that might have blown sand into the chamber. I see something smooshed in there, maybe some grains of sand. Those might have stopped new rounds from going all the way in.

I poked at it and gently scraped with a brass screw. It felt gummy. Maybe it was plastic? Anyways, it’s out now.

9 Likes

Now I think maybe it’s incompatible with OEM Glock barrels. A Palmetto barrel slides much more freely.

4 Likes

I got back to the range again. The day started out great. I moved the scope forward to get the proper eye relief to shoot from prone, the first round (cold shot) hit completely inside the 1/2 square bullseye at 200 yds without having to re-zero. To confirm my zero I took one more shot. That’s when things went sideways. That Georgia Arms reload must have been loaded way too hot or just a bad piece of brass, it powder burned my face blowing back passed the bolt, splitting the base of the case half way off, blowing the trap door open emptying the mag well and contorting the magazine spring.

8 Likes

I would probably leave the range for the day after that.

4 Likes

I almost did but I had more guns to shoot, one AR with the Troy Industries rear sight https://palmettostatearmory.com/troy-doa-rear-folding-battlesight-ssig-doa-rfbt-00.html, which I have mention before. I can hit the steal pig at 230 yds about 90% of the time.
The old mini-14 with the old scope off of the 308’
And my new RI 1911CS to break it in.
Then I wanted to make sure that the rest of the 308 was ok. hand feeding it one round at a time I Shot three more rounds. This thing is a tack driver. consistent hits at 200, all within the 1/2" bullseye, not partially in but completely in the diamond.

6 Likes

A 3 round group in less than a 1/2 inch at 200? That’s a keeper! Sub 1/4 MOA! You need to take that rifle on the road brother! Damn good shooting. Not something I could do at will honestly. I have rifles that will, just can’t say I can every time. Some of our rifles are better than us here…

6 Likes

What helps is that I found a little something out about the scope. If your sight picture is not perfect there will be a yellow fuzz that appears around the target once you have adjusted the sight picture to where there is no more fuzz your are looking perfectly straight through the scope then take the shot. I was considering replacing the barrel for longer heavier one, not the way this thing shoots. I think that would do more harm than good. But I am looking to replace the stock to get a higher cheek riser. Currently the scope is too high for a good cheek well and I want to be able to adjust the pull between bench and prone shots. I was looking into Magpul’s Hunter stock but I don;t want to have to remove the action for cleaning. Most other stocks are too pricey. any suggestions?. I only paid $275 for it 17 years ago.

According to all the ballistic charts being zeroed at 100 there should be about a 3" drop at 200 but with this rifle and ammo combo it only drops 1/4". I need to get to a range with more distance to get this thing properly doped and see what kind of distance I can accurately shoot from.

6 Likes

This is a good platform. They make it for Remington and Savage

4 Likes

Thank you for the lead shooterrex, I forgot about Choate this one wont work My remington has the trap door.
These Stocks will NOT fit rifles with the bolt release in the trigger guard, Hinged floor plate or Detachable Magazine.

But they do make this one and I want to convert to detachable mags anyway.

6 Likes

Don’t have the Oryx, but do have the Drake that’s the LSS’ kissing cousin with the folding MTD stock. My dream switch barrel bolt action will have their Carbon Fiber HNT 26 Chassis

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Ambi AR-15 controls

On the subject of ranges…

Over 4 decades ago I visited a local sportsmans club and the range was rudimentary at best. I discounted it and never went back until last night. In the interim I joined a range 30+ minutes away on secondary roads and now am a member of a range 50 minutes away @ 75mph. But with bitemes war on the American people, that is his inflation and gas prices (Putin, Putin, Putin, liar, liar, liar!) that range is expensive to get to. I recently remembered the local sportsmans club. So I looked at their website. The rudimentary range is long gone to say the least.

https://www.skowhegansportsmansclub.org/

Every Friday evening they have an open handgun range for members and prospective members and I finally remembered to get there yesterday. I didn’t bring a handgun to shoot, that’ll happen next time. It is NOT the range of 40+ years ago! I think I’ll join. In gas savings alone, by not driving 60 miles, I’ll recoup the membership fee. It’s also only 20 minutes from home all on back roads. It’s probably 5 miles away from my AO as the crow flies, but I’m not a crow. I need to make a huge loop to get there.

Just an aside, as the president and I were talking at the 300 yard range a whitetail doe came out to browse on the grass at the 200 yard berm.

What comes next? Attend 2 meetings, fill out some paperwork, pay the fee, then get voted in. I expect no problems.

6 Likes

Nice. We’re anti-social and spoiled. Walk 75 yards from the back door. Sometimes we have to wait for the deer to cross too.

6 Likes

Almost 1/2 a mile to the range out back from the house. Deer and turkeys pretty much ignore us at this point.

5 Likes

Yep. Nice ain’t it. :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah, I used to have a 100 yard range in my backyard, but it’s overgrown and age and things that go along with it mean I can’t clear it anymore. I still have a 50 yard range that I mow, but it’s nice to have more distance.

7 Likes

Yeah longer is nicer. Getting out to mow is a PIA. Here a neighbor took it over to use it. If he didn’t we were thinking to fence it and put goats on it.

4 Likes

Mowing stinks.

4 Likes

Yes it does.
My boys have a p/t landscaping biz
They do it all. They have the house looking great.
As they should for taking over my big shed and side driveway to base their biz.

A Sunday funday good morning to all

6 Likes

I mowed some yesterday. I use the yard as a short bow range so it’s applicable to the thread. Lol I got side tracked working on one of those string weed eater things that’s set up like a lawn
Mower. I’m reasonably sure it needs a new carb but once
It’s working it will be a beast.

9 Likes