The Wounded Knee Massacre: The Forgotten History of the Native American Gun Confiscation

Forgotten? You assume too much.

I still have my copy of “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee”.

I have not forgotten the “Trail of Tears”. Have not forgotten the Wessagusset Massacre of 1623.

“Thanks for the turkey, corn and squash and bailing out our sorry Puritan asses. Now die.”

The Turner Falls Massacre of 1676. And hundreds since. Settlers in the US have routinely practiced grenocide since Columbus sailed. Own it. At least the Scandanavians tried to trade with the locals in 1000 AD. Not conquer them. Even the “Vikings” weren’t as bloodthirsty and ruthless as the Christians.

“Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever”.

7 Likes

I thought they were already defeated and had already surrendered themselves to the new way of life imposed on them? I’m no historian, but having read the original post and a few other accounts, to me it sounds like the Wounded Knee incident wasn’t really a battle but more like a massacre of already surrendered people. I suppose some may view it one way while others may view it another way, though.

5 Likes

Forgotten to too many, at the very least. Unknown to even more. I don’t recall the phrase “Korean War” ever spoken in one of my high school “history classes,” let alone “Wounded Knee.”

5 Likes

I hate to tell you but contrary to popular read{ politically correct} Columbus never saw the US

4 Likes

They do not even mention Viet Nam in school today, true story, my niece told e how they skipped right over it in her American History class. I offered to go down and give them a quick refresher but my wife intervened and I got grounded. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Media propaganda?
That’s all they have.
Talk about history repeating itself by those that failed to learn from the past. Sheesh!

6 Likes

Don’t see where I said anything about where he landed. Only mentioned that he sailed. :wink:

6 Likes

Then why even bring up his name, Indians were killing each other since way before the white man got here. just sayin. Wounded Knee was F’ed up so was Mi Lai but they are history I am not going to beat myself up over it.

5 Likes

Shit happens.

Even more so in stressful, dangerous + fast moving situations.

6 Likes

We have an indigenous people just minding their own business. They may have had wars with other indigenous peoples, but generally minding their own business. They traded their freedom for a false sense of safety and got slaughtered for their stupidity. They were going to die anyway, they should have kept fighting.

There are numerous cases of ethnic cleansing throughout history where there is a certain group of people who are painted as ‘bad’ for the group that is in power. That somehow makes it ‘okay’ to decimate at any cost the targeted group. All atrocities are glossed over by the group in power and all retaliation is painted as terrorist attacks.

And who are the targets this time? Conservatives. We have become the terrorists. If we are duped into giving up our freedom for safety, we will be eliminated. The only thing keeping the ethnic cleansing from happening here is the 2nd Amendment.

8 Likes

And they are rapidly trying to take that away from us, I wonder why. Or more to the point what is the next step in the plan.

6 Likes

They[quote=“Stumpkiller, post:21, topic:17882”]
At least the Scandanavians tried to trade with the locals in 1000 AD. Not conquer them. Even the “Vikings” weren’t as bloodthirsty and ruthless as the Christians.
[/quote]

That’s true and sad what was done in the name of the church. The Vikings warred with just about everyone UNTIL Bluetooth (yes the BT icon on your phone is HIS name and how it is written i their language) was converted to christianity as a way to stop his conquering of Germany.

5 Likes

I have never given so many likes to opposing views before.

People have this noble view of indians for some reason and don’t know much about their history. For instance, the trail of tears may have been forced by the US, but became a clusterduck because off the 2 Cherokee leaders, one who was straight-up Scottish and looked like it. They warred with each other and squandered all the $$$$ the government gave them to set up life.
A very good argument may be made that they did more harm to the Cherokee than the US.

I urge anyone interested in history to read “Blood Moon: An American Epic of War and Splendor in the Cherokee Nation”

" An astonishing untold story from the nineteenth century—a “riveting…engrossing…‘American Epic’” ( The Wall Street Journal ) and necessary work of history that reads like Gone with the Wind for the Cherokee.

“A vigorous, well-written book that distills a complex history to a clash between two men without oversimplifying” ( Kirkus Reviews ), Blood Moon is the story of the feud between two rival Cherokee chiefs from the early years of the United States through the infamous Trail of Tears and into the Civil War. Their enmity would lead to war, forced removal from their homeland, and the devastation of a once-proud nation.

One of the men, known as The Ridge—short for He Who Walks on Mountaintops—is a fearsome warrior who speaks no English, but whose exploits on the battlefield are legendary. The other, John Ross, is descended from Scottish traders and looks like one: a pale, unimposing half-pint who wears modern clothes and speaks not a word of Cherokee. At first, the two men are friends and allies who negotiate with almost every American president from George Washington through Abraham Lincoln. But as the threat to their land and their people grows more dire, they break with each other on the subject of removal.

In Blood Moon , John Sedgwick restores the Cherokee to their rightful place in American history in a dramatic saga that informs much of the country’s mythic past today. Fueled by meticulous research in contemporary diaries and journals, newspaper reports, and eyewitness accounts—and Sedgwick’s own extensive travels within Cherokee lands from the Southeast to Oklahoma—it is “a wild ride of a book—fascinating, chilling, and enlightening—that explains the removal of the Cherokee as one of the central dramas of our country” (Ian Frazier).

Populated with heroes and scoundrels of all varieties, this is a richly evocative portrait of the Cherokee that is destined to become the defining book on this extraordinary people."

5 Likes

Doesn’t hurt does it :wink:

:+1:

5 Likes

A lot of Cherokee could pass as white and dropped out all along the trail of tears. We have several family’s in our area that they married in to. Some related as we have been here since the 1840s.

7 Likes

I know we have Cherokee in the tree with (some supposed ) Chittimacha and Caddo thrown in for good measure. Not quite sure of the family lineage with all the assorted background of German, Irish, Dutch , Spanish, Central American and what ever Alsace-Lorraine was/is. Not quite sure if those were the people who came from acadiana or not, or if another family. Nothing would surprise me anymore. I’m such a mutt.
I’ve been wanting to get some good genealogy down, but would rather not go through the mormons. lol

4 Likes

They do the research or you think you’re a Mormon decedent?

5 Likes

Largest keeper of citizens records in the us.
Largest in the world.

https://www.pbs.org/mormons/etc/genealogy.html

4 Likes

Didn’t know this, TY

4 Likes

They also secretly baptize people after death, which has been making people angry.
they promised to stop , but then records were found they did it to nazi hunter Weizenthal(sp?) shortly after his death.

(Edit: i didn’t realize some of this info was in the above link)

3 Likes