Things I have learnt about guns and other US Myths

I have found most firearms interesting both the mechanics and the history, but above all it’s how a Country’s import regulations and a Government Office can change the nomenclature of a firearm
First up the lowly CZ75/85 family.

First considered to be a unicorn gun in the US (up into the Collapse of the USSR and the Warsaw Pact dissolving) we offer what is commonly referred to the Pre-B, Transition Pre-B and B models. Simply stated the “B” or firing pin block was a requirement to meet importation requirements (which was and still is the largest Civilian market for handguns). When I asked about some Pre-B parts from the Canadian Rep for Česká zbrojovka he laughed and basically said there is no such thing - it was a To B or not to B conversation, or for a better choice of words simply a option that is factory installed. This now explains the confusion with what is commonly referred as the transition models. Just different options available and some that were retro fitted to the earlier version for the US market.Most CZ85 were not “Bs” except for the US market and I can still buy a CZ85 without the firing pin block.
You actually see this with other Euro pistols like the FN/Browning GP35 or what is know as the Browning HP, the addition of a firing pin block to the MkII - making them a MKII.

And now magazine releases - when you consider that early automatics (as in auto loading pistols) were all internal box stripper clip fed it makes you wonder where term American release came from. And what I can gather at the time other than Colt pretty well every successful Automatic Pistol at the time was of European design (even the Brownings ). And it has to do more with patent laws or actual mechanics over country of origin. And sometimes the mag releases were more a re-invention of the wheel as to actual engineering simplicity - think Walther P99 with it’s paddle.

A lot of times the Requirements that BATF has created for importation of foreign firearms, the importers have to “create” a selling feature to make it more attractive to the general US market.

5 Likes

Great info. I learned today. Thanks :+1::+1:

com
I’ll just keep reading and hope that one day I’ll understand what you guys are talking about.

2 Likes

think of it as buying a pickup - early days you had the choice of a manual Transmission (was a standard option, hence referred as a standard transmission) and your automatic which even though was a option at the time is now considered a standard option.
Once upon a time brakes on the pick ups were drum, then the options of front disc and now all four wheels. It would be like referring to your pick up as a pre-D and transition pre-D (body style/colour/box length) because it only came with drum brakes during the time period that disc breaks were a option.

1 Like

Thank you.