This Ain't Your Grandpa's 30-06! "Chasing The 44-40"

Applied!!! Thanks for the heads-up

4 Likes

I have an old 742. hunted deer with it for many years and then it did a boo boo, stripped the lugs on the bolt and in the barrel.

You can’t find parts for one, i live close to the remington ammo plant and my neighbor shot skeet for them. he is in the Arkansas trapshooters hall of fame. he knew the gunsmith at the plant and no parts to be had.

So i took the scope off and throwed it in the closet where it resides to this day. it was also a BDL.

5 Likes

???

5 Likes

Mine is a safe queen. She hasn’t been shot in probably 10 years

5 Likes

It had the fancier wood. i bought it used. killed a lot of deer with it. it blew up on an 8 point buck.i’ll find a pick. be easier than draggin it out of the closet.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Mine is the faux wood

5 Likes

TY, can you get a donor off gunbroker to repair it?

5 Likes

Never tried, every gun i looked at had the same problem bolt lugs stripped. even numrich arms don’t have parts for them.

It wasn’t long after it happened a coworker wanted to sell jis Browning BAR Safari in 7 mag with a leupold lighted recticle scope. 3x10x50. came wit a browning sling and case. and two boxes of ammo. it only had 10 rounds fired through it,

I remember when he bought it, i ask him how much he wanted and he said 800. i even told him it’s worth a whole lot more than that. it was brand new. he said he didn’t care he needed the money and if i didn’t buy it he was sellin it for that to somebody else. of course i bought it.

I hunted with it for several year and killed a lot of deer with it. it’s a fine rifle. but i got into hunting with AR type guns a few years ago and still am.

I would never go back to that 742 even if it was fixed.

6 Likes

More fun at the range today

5 Likes