This Might Sting, If So, Walk It Off, LOL

I had forgotten that song. It’s more pertinent today than it was back in '69.

9 Likes

just provoking a conversation because those who seemingly fret way to much about training do not realize that said training does not involve taking a life, which has a certain respect, appreciate and mental factor all it’s own which is worthwhile. so, may who get all high and mighty of self defense talk about taking the life of another human as if it is nothing, easy. if a bit of my soul dies from popping coyotes that are killing calves, yeah, i am probably going to have a far worse time after pulling the trigger on a human… justified, sure, did what i had to do to protect myself and or my family, yep, would hesitate, i would think not, thanks to said training of course but… unless you are actually in such a horrible, there is not way to duplicate that experience, i believe that hunting is at least partically adjacent in nature. i have until now and will try to continue to stay out of the conversation for the most part, you guys are handling it pretty well, some interesting back and forth here… which again, was the point, carry on.

8 Likes

I learned the basics from a friends Uncle. Really just Deer, a few Elk and (none human) varmints.

Outside of concealability sport shooting like 3 gun or practical shooting would teach marksmanship much better due to the round count and it would teach many defensive skills needed that hunting dosnt. We have trapshooting school teams around here but I find that shit horrible :grimacing:

Hunting is cool and all but shouldnt be a requirement to owning a gun if anything it should be the otherway around. You should have to be familiar with a gun before hunting, the whole thing could be trained in building blocks saftey>marksmanship>maintenance>practical shooting and hunting. I get that many people learn it from family as a tradition but many dont. Most Hunters dont shoot enough in my opinion , a few times a year at most in many cases.

5 Likes

No one said requirement the term was should, to me that has a different meaning. Get yourself a .22 go out in the woods and get enough squirrels to feed your family and tell me if you learn anything. That was a pretty common thing for a lot of us, the 3-gun stuff is all tacticool and fun to watch, but a lot different than some sharp eyes trying to spot you on their turf

7 Likes

Not the point, what was the original topic about? Read it again.

My point is hunting shouldnt be a requirement to own guns. I said nothing about gathering food for my family and that is completly irrelevent to this discussion. Fact is if you want to be good with a gun you shoot, competition shooters are better shooters than hunters because they shoot more.

6 Likes

if you say so, :man_shrugging: again, the word requirement is not mentioned, it says should, maybe you should read it again. :thinking: And I think the point of hunting is to gather food, you don’t shoot good you go hungry. I know I am not the only one here that grew up knowing food did not always come from the grocery store and sometimes you just can’t go to one. I just came back from the range a little while ago I practice still, but it is not the same as hunting.

6 Likes

Think I will just have to agree to disagree although my opinion I hope dosnt come off as a slant towards hunting. Its a great American past time that will soon be stripped from our country too. After guns they will pick away any and all small things that keep us none dependant on them.

The cancel-culture has no limits afterall , its a cancer.

5 Likes

I never knew that struggle but I do know how to garden,can, hunt, etc

4 Likes

Cool I have a big plot that needs a lot of work if you not too busy, wife cooks good, whiskey in my office and my own range 2 miles up the hill. I’ll even supply the tools, I just need a young strong back to swing a hoe and pull some weeds.

5 Likes

If I lived closer I would be game lol

Trading labor for education is a win-win

4 Likes

I ain’t that smart

5 Likes

You and @Belt-Fed lived threw the last civil war and the great depression though

3 Likes

:rage:
Train Wreck GIF by memecandy

4 Likes

You know you’re both correct, right?

Many hunters buy 1 box of shells per year, shoot some just to check their rifles and maybe get some game. Other hunters hunt for subsistence and those hunters actually know how to shoot and know woodcraft.

Competition shooters CAN know woodcraft but it’s not required. What competition does teach (USPSA, Steel Challenge are the ones I’m familiar with today) is getting good hits at speed. Or that’s the goal. Of course there are other forms of competition, like bullseye, which purely teaches the basics and accuracy. Yes, I know I’m leaving lots of competition out. Bad Brian.

I’m sort of in between those folks I mentioned. I had no one to reach me hunting, but had friends who did their best to teach me. Then the military did their best. When I got out I would go hunting with a brother and turned into a pretty good, no an excellent upland game wingshooter. That turned into an excellent shot with a rifle. But it took work. I self taught myself to still hunt deer, and I’m certain that there were lots of things I missed. But I was good enough to get within 20 yards of deer in the Maine woods. Also after the military I took up bullseye shooting and never really did very good, but I learned the basics of handgun shooting. During qualifications I never scored under 298 out of 300. I also learned that I liked combat shooting. Later that morphed into USPSA and I’ve shot that for 20 years or so now. I’m more than acceptable with a handgun, but my real love is riflery so I now shoot a PCC in competition and it’s where I belong. I’d rank much higher if I sped up in the stages, but my speed today is walking. I no longer hunt due to body malfunctions. But Steel Challenge… that’s accuracy and speed, and no movement. I do really good at that. But to translate comp’ experience into tactics would be suicide since what is done in competition just doesn’t come close to being tactics. Competition is a game and nothing more, or at least what I shoot. Ok, some shots are set up to teach tactics, but everyone just sees it as a shot set up to make it difficult.

But I think my point is that 1 box a year hunters simply don’t shoot enough to really develop any skill. Shooting however can be learned, and so can woodcraft, but it takes work and more years doing it the better one gets. So IMO you’re both correct. Just different perspectives based on what is seen in different places and through different life experiences.

Too, there are different styles of hunting and no one method is superior. I can’t stand hunt. I fall asleep. So I still hunted. I have a friend though who is an excellent shot and he can stay awake. Stand hunting can be very productive. Still hunting takes a lot more work to produce (in this case) a whitetail deer, esp’ in the deep woods where I hunted.

7 Likes

a WHOLE lot of conversation here, lots to soak in, so, THANK for the participation, LOVING IT. i do agree that competitors fall into a specific area as well… which is sorta an overarching point of the original post too, we tend to generalize EVERYONE and we just can’t do that. firearm ownership includes a whole lot of people doing a whole lot of things that offer very different experiences, perspectives, value gain, skill sets learned, etc.

6 Likes

I do get excited and feel bad at the same time everytime shoot a deer

6 Likes

Sing Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Starting to sound a little hippie

6 Likes

Swing a ho. You need Belt fed he is the pimp daddy here.

8 Likes

right! it is a very unique experience for sure

7 Likes

I don’t feel bad, I just rip em open and dance around with the entrails… JK

5 Likes