This Sucks But It Had To Be Done

So to set up this post… my fairly expensive laptop that was about a year and a half old died a couple of days ago (motherboard).

Yeah! Well, $700 later yeah anyway. But at least I can try to get back to work on stuff I was already behind on.

7 Likes

1.5 years and it died!!?? That sux bigtime! Who made that piece of crap? (sorry, I can’t make out the manufacturer.)

7 Likes

it is an ASUS and that is what i bought again, same model so all i had to do was swap drives. it is unfortunate but my wife has the exact same one and hers is fine. i was in IT for 20+ years, even the best can give issues, it happens, so would not say it was because anything was crap. when you race a ferrari all day, every day, the odds of somethign happening get higher and higher.

7 Likes

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 N5040 (2009?) and I can’t kill it. On it’s third battery module. I just wanted a “cheap” laptop for charting & GPS software on our sailboat (CAPN) and watching DVDs aboard and it has been updated to Windows 10 but is reaching the end of supportable life (from Dell). I’m pleased with the life and use I’ve gotten out of it . . . and it’s still soldiering on.

6 Likes

I have 14 keys with grooves worn in, missing two vowels, thats on the surface, the actual contacts are a misnomer, half the time they don’t make contact, I type and half of two words are missing to form one unintelligible word

yep, now you know why my posts read the way they do

8 Likes

yeah, sold a LOT of Dells stuff in my lifetime, all solid for the most part. sadly, Dell can’t come close to what I need in a laptop for content creation, so gotta go with more “boutique” brands. but as i said, this really isn’t much of a reflection on the brand, things happen. i too have had Toshiba, Dell, HP and Lenovo stuff over the years that just took a beating and kept on going. in fact, now that i think about it, my dad has a MSI that was pretty boutique back in the day and it is still kicking along fine

6 Likes

dude, the one that died, the one that was about a year and a half old, yeah, had multiple keys worn to the point you could not read the letters, that is how much i use these things, run em hard

6 Likes

My desktop is a, gasp, iMac. Zero problems. I’d probably go Apple for any future computing needs. (This from a troglodite who fought in the IBM/PC/Microsoft wars for four decades).

7 Likes

Whats iMac, just a certain hardware configuration?

With tasks other than your video production or primary just that?

5 Likes

you should give give the laptop a good sendoff I’m thinking 00 buckshot should do it.

6 Likes

almost all purely content production related, yeah, but i can spend hours editing video, photos, checking emails, all while rendering video and uploading video… multi tasking is a must

4 Likes

everything else on it is good minus the southbridge chip on the motherboard… i bought the same model so in the event something else goes south (on mine or my wife’s) i have spare parts. so wouldn’t really wanna do that.

5 Likes

But it would make an awesome video. :yep:

5 Likes

yup no doubt it would but soon as i did that, a screen or whatever would go bad and end up costing me more money LOL i do have a couple of junker laptops laying around, so maybe do a “will a laptop in a backpack save your life” video one day just for fun

4 Likes

I bought a MacBook Air in 2013. Still going strong. I had to get the headphone socket replaced after the tip of a 3.5mm jack got caught in it and it’s onto its third charger but the only problem is the 256Gb storage is full. My work gave me the same model with 128Gb memory and my missus is using our old one for our small business. It was AUD$1500 in 2013, a lot of money, but it has NEVER crashed. Never. You know what they say. Buy the best, cry once. Buy cheaper, cry lots.

6 Likes

that is a good sentiment but what i bought was the best, very high end, retail of $1,200+ top of the line with just about everything. there is no possible way i can buy cheap and have it do the things i need to do. that is why i bit the bullet and went with the one a year and a half ago. so that does not always hold true, unfortunately. just because something breaks does not make it inferior, cheap or garbage. case in point, had an uncle, bought a brand new cadillac, pretty high end most would say, right? two days later went on vacation and it dropped a transmission about 3 days from home. pooh happens sometimes.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. I know a lot of people hate Apple, but their reliability, at least in my experience and through friends, is extremely good. I hope you can get some warranty on your laptop.

6 Likes

appreciate the kind words, yeah, warranty is a no go, as i said, been a year and a half, also being in the business for 20+ years, laptops around smoke, well, that doesn’t tend to go over well anyway with warranty. if i were still in the business, i am sure i could make something happen, pressure with thousands of dollars in future invoices, etc but, that is no longer a part of my life, so gotta deal with it. i do have an old powerbook here, 2010 i believe that is still kicking, so i am familiar with apple, and as i said, have worked on many over the years too. thing about apple is the proprietary software issues most of all… well that and the cost when you really need something that is a race car. i would just venture a guess that to get similar performance from apple i would be looking at $3k plus. and sadly, i no longer have connections to get a deal with apple stuff like i was able to with the windows end of things. $1,200+ for about $700 is a pretty good savings. anyway, it all just sucks, most creators would not mention it but there are those out there who whine about the whole shill and ebegging and what not… it does cost money to consistently put out content and even more so when unforseen circumstances like this come up. all that said, i did start another non firearm related channel, sports card related, that may end up helping support the firearm side since links and what not are almost a no go. and, the recent youtube poll seems to show overwhelming support for me doing some type of fundraiser to try and offset at least some of the cost. if i can manage a few hundred back from that, it would put me in a much better position considering i have a trip to Houston in Sept, Ft Worth in Oct and Tulsa in Nov. LOL… then on to SHOT in Jan of course.

5 Likes