ThisOldGun Needs Your Help Identifying a Mystery Medal

My guess is that it’s Austrian. Anyone have any better ideas?

5 Likes

Didn’t find a thing

whats the banner read?

2 Likes

I found the oval one by itself. It is honoring 50 years of Franz Joseph. I haven’t found anything on the rest of it.

http://www.franz-josef.cz/en/oval-medal-with-a-portrait-of-the-emperor-viribus-unitis-1848-1898.html

3 Likes

I wish I could tell. It’s worn.

2 Likes

Good detective work! I missed that page. The rest of the medal is a dang mystery.

2 Likes

What does the round one say on the front around the portrait?

2 Likes

My best guess- DE FRANCE / HENRI

2 Likes

2 Likes

This one is French. You may have something that was put together by an individual and didn’t start out as one thing.

3 Likes

I’m thinking you’re right. But it was put together a long time ago. I wonder if there are others like it- like it was a trend, or if it’s a one-off somebody’s project 100 years ago sort of scenario.

2 Likes

Is it made of silver or ?

1 Like

How do you tell without removing the tarnish? It looks like it is to me.

2 Likes

Taste it

1 Like

Maybe Belgian…possibly pre-dating WW1

These ones have many of the same design elements:

Either way, very cool!

3 Likes

The French one was made in silver or copper.

3 Likes

I feel like @Robert is trying to get me to lick something for his amusement. Not doing it. :smile:

5 Likes

My best guess on the small shield is that it is French as well due to the fleur-de-lis on top.

3 Likes

damn, I laughed my ass off when I wrote that,

reminded me of when I told a guy he could remove the wires from the back of an outlet plug with a four penny nail

well, you can

but should turn off the power first :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

You’re killing me. :rofl:

1 Like

And the swords are pointed down indicating peacetime. I know it’s a stretch but based on the medals and timeframe, could it be a Franco Prussian War veteran’s piece?

1 Like