Thoughts on this chronograph?

Got $75 in Cabela’s gift cards and saw this chronograph. Thoughts?

Don’t wanna spend too much money on one.

6 Likes

I had that one, it works OK. It does have problems with light. Light coming in from the sides will confuse it. The light needs to come down from the top or it’s not going to work right. It also needs to be about 15 feet from you muzzle. Other than that, it works. The one I have now is a Doppler radar and a bit more expensive.

6 Likes

Ship it to me :hugs:

5 Likes

One thing I should add, be careful using it. I’ve heard of a few people shooting theirs. So always double check the bullet path before pulling the trigger.

Also, don’t use a cheep old tripod, get something that’s a bit sturdy.

5 Likes

What’s a good distance to be at when shooting pistol and rifle cartridges? I just saw your first post, but is 15ft going to be the best distance? I see people go as far as 7yds.

Noted!

5 Likes

It should work just fine. I likely own the predecessor to that unit. Mine is a Pro Chrono brand that I also purchased from Cabelas.

This is true under certain sky conditions, especially bright sunny days. Overcast skies are better. It helps to always use those overhead lampshade things. I also paint the bullet with a Sharpie marker to create better contrast for the sensors.

8-10 feet has worked fine for me.

6 Likes

Good stuff! Thank you.

4 Likes

Should I build a pseudo mini car port / overhang for it for sunny days?

5 Likes

I don’t think that overhead cover is necessary. The Sharpie trick has always worked for me.

4 Likes

Good to know. I’m assuming you use black? We’ve got the whole rainbow of sharpies. Haha.

5 Likes

That is the one I have, @SteelPinger told you the tricks to it. It works fine for me.

5 Likes

Buddy of mine is on his second one, the first one he shot a hole right through the LED screen…55 FMJ, it traveled a couple inches and blew out the side…LOL…the second one is still working fine…

4 Likes

You’ll know you’re too close if you start to measure the pressure wave from the blast. If you see 5627 fps (as an example) that’s not the bullet. Either shoot through something to stop the pressure wave or back the screens up. I see it more often when experimenting with ultra light sabotted bullets and super fast powder. I might have also seen it with the .17 Rem’. Under fluorescent light the pressure wave can sometimes be seen by eye, so too can the skyscreens but they can see it under clear skies.

I lust after one of those LabRadar units. Next Christmas.

5 Likes

Many chronographs seem to have trouble with lighting.
Mine have worked best on a overcast day with no bright sunlight.
A nice evenly gray sky seems to get the best results.

5 Likes

Wow hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes