Time it takes...

Afternoon to cut the rails and fit the slide, another afternoon to fit the match bull barrel, a week to fit the damn high ride GS and I haven’t even started blending!

16 Likes

Nice looking work Al

12 Likes

Yep, gettin’ that work in! I haven’t had to fit GS tangs yet and I’m not looking forward to it when I do. I do look forward to future progress and seeing the end result!

11 Likes

Surely some envy from me, I’m hoping to turn my garage into a build studio (someday)

10 Likes

First build brother bought the kit from 1911 builders. Tang was already radiused, bull barrel and link already fitted, after cutting the frame, fitting the slide, and fitting the thumb safety pretty much plug and play. A little finishing here and there.
Last couple builds full fit ups, buying wet dry sandpaper and emery cloth in bulk quantities!
PS thanks for formatting the gallery view.

9 Likes

Going for the seamless BTGS fit?

9 Likes

As close as I can get. The photos I see of some other fit ups are pretty clean. Not sure if my skills are there yet.

8 Likes

please continue to share progress. Looks beautiful so far.

Wilson Combat radius will never be seamless when GS is disengaged.

9 Likes

Please explain. True of the high-rise as well?

8 Likes

From the pictures it looks you are using a Wilson Combat jig that has their compound radius. The tangs will have more meat toward the bottom than directly to the rear. With this jig, you should also be using their WC radius safety. They make both - their own “radius” and .250

It looks like you have their GS from the pics.

Unlike true radius (.220 or .250) this one changes the dimension along the cut. As result, a slight seam will open up when the grip safety is turned.

There is nothing wrong with that. I just don’t believe it is physically possible to do a seamless fit on two parts with one turning when the radius is not consistent.

7 Likes

I would have to agree with that statement.

It is a w/c high ride gs and the w/c high ride jig, seems tight when depressed but next time I’m in the shop I’ll spin a caliper around the finished result and see.
Thanks for the information.
Maybe try something different on the next one.

7 Likes

You are correct

Tight when all the way down. Not much difference until rotated up about 45deg but definitely starts to open up. I think that’s what is giving me fits when fitting!

7 Likes

That is why i brought it up when I asked if you are going for a seamless fit.

So you don’t go crazy trying.

7 Likes