TO BE OR NOT TO BE?(body armor)

Definitely check because where I am it’s illegal to have body armor on and in a defensive situation.

For shtf I have a Mayflower apc with tacos, a radio pouch (tactical tailor for baofung radios) and a bleeder blowout.

First spear AGB with esstac gap 2+2, rest is irrelevant.

Solid kit imo if you can get any kind of savings, can’t be beat otherwise.

For edc you need at least a single person bleeder blowout kit, to hell with the person you plugged.

3 Likes

It broke your soul to be fully loaded in the heat and dirt of Afghanistan…

@rjburk I know that game brother. A fellow Afghan Vet here. Don’t forget about the ice and snow up in the mountains in winter. That shit sucked when wearing armor.

5 Likes

There is one more aspect in this conversation to take into account on this topic. Now everyone already knows where I stand -“ yes wear armor - yes to steel plates” different things work for different people, and if your not physical fit, or are handy caped I totally understand you not wanting to wear 15-20 lbs of extra weight.
I am referring to what you might look like to an attacker lying in wait. Would you rather look like a soft target or a hard target? Keep in mind we are referring to a S.H.T.F., or “the road” situation.
In Iraq and Afghanistan our contractors will drive hard cars “ up armored vehicles” or soft cars and you just lined the floor boards with sandbags to protect you from I.E.D or the shock wave they create. The lookout always knews a Chevy suburban “up armor” when driving, so they would also know that the V.I.P was in the vehicle as well. Now say we where in a Toyota hilux with 5 lbs of shit hanging from the rear view mirror. Now the lookout would have a tougher time making that judgment in a timely fashion.
To put this in a different light think of a hungry bobcat up in a tree. He sees the wolf walk by, and the bobcat passes the opportunity due to the risk of injury “cost vs reward”. Now the bobcat sees a rabbit walk by! Bam! No more rabbit. Like I said just one more thing to think about for a situation I hope none of us ever has to deal with. May peace be with you all.

5 Likes

Here’s my take on the body armor/vest discussion.

I opt for being modular. What I mean is this, go with a quality chest rig that can be worn over or attached to body armor if the need arises. Personally I’m a fan of Haley strategic because their rig is not over encumbering and can easily be attached to a plate carrier or IBA style body armor using quick detach fasteks. I personally am not a fan of tactical vests because they trap a lot of heat and limit how one can set up their load out.

Like some others here, I wore body armor in Afghanistan and Iraq. Both places sucked. Afghanistan was worse because the unit I was in walked A LOT. What a lot of folks don’t realize is that plates are heavy. Even well conditioned soldiers get their arses handed to them wearing that stuff. Add to the armor your load out (ammo, IFAK, water, and other stuff) and it will wear you out. For most civilians body armor would quickly exhaust them and make them combat ineffective.

So my take is that unless you are defending a static position (home, bug out location, etc…) I would not wear body armor. If you are in situation that requires fast movement, ability to get in and break contact, conduct recon, etc…, then go with a quality rig. Additionally, train with your gear. Either stay in or get in good physical condition. If you feel that body armor is a must then go with a quality plate carrier and quality plates. Spend the money on good ceramic or composite level IV plates that offer great protection while keeping weight down.

Finally, be realistic. In a SHTF scenario, keeping a low signature (noise and light discipline as it was pounded in my head as a your paratrooper) will be invaluable. Know the terrain your operating in and hopefully you can find like minded folks to team with. There is safety in numbers as long as everyone is on the same page.

Peace out.

7 Likes

I keep my carrier separate I normally just use H-harness for ammo and water/food. I can slip it over the Carrier when I need it all. I operate defensively when I can And static is a good place for the carrier. I have prepared my own food cashes so I don’t have to raid others.

4 Likes

Well put. I would not like wear armor any where there is fine silt dust or sand. It would grind you in half.

2 Likes

Any opinion on steel vs ceramic plates?

1 Like

Ceramic over steel IMO.

2 Likes

Steel will take multiple hits. Ceramic, not so much.

3 Likes

True to a point. Ceramic does degrade faster but will take multiple hits. Folks need to remember though that if you even take one hit it will still punch the wind out of you. Solid hit from a 30 caliber will put a full grown man on his ass and if you’re taking multiple hits you’re doing something wrong.

5 Likes

Steel will cause spalling, and you’re just as dead if a shard of metal ricochets off the steel and plants its self in your brain. Ceramic is designed to catch and break the round apart. With steel, you need a hefty anti spalling coating. Even without the anti-spall coating, ceramic is significantly lighter.

5 Likes

I have the Vism polypropylene III+ supposed to stop a 308/ 30.06, they only weigh 9 lbs with front back and side, I watched a video where the guy fire 50 rounds into the vest of .556 not until the 30th round did they penetrate.

2 Likes

Damn! Got a link to their stuff? Company name? @stonewalledagain

1 Like

Vism is the manufacture , I am pretty sure the video is on youtube still, bought thru Sportsmansguide, of course using the four pay method, think the vest , front and back and side ran like $250, that cheap I had to grab them, wasn’t coughing up $400.

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Lets hope we don’t need them but better to have and not need than need and not have as the saying goes, being in the scouts for 3 weeks, the only thing I learnt was be prepared.

1 Like
3 Likes

I have a couple thoughts on this. First… my daughter is the one I would most want armor for… she’s 14 and can’t exactly hike for miles in that stuff. It doesn’t do much good to be heavily armored and not be able to get away from your attackers. They don’t even need guns. Just tire you out and scoop you up. Second… I have actually been able to sneak up on deer so close that I could hit it with a stick. With that skill, I can certainly avoid humans. Then there’s the cost of armor. I’m not independently wealthy so I couldn’t supply the entire family anyway. For me, out of sight, stay silent, GTFO.

4 Likes

The vism plates only weigh 3lbs and are perfect for a backpack, school bag and not much, around $70 to $100

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool! I need to get a couple of those.

1 Like